1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark 48 15 hp kaw dieing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allpro2009, Jul 11, 2008.

1. allpro2009

allpro2009 LawnSite Member

i was cutting a lawn yesterday when my mower suddely acted like it was about to run out of gas, then within a second or 2, it fired right back up to normal operating rpms. As i cut the lawn, it did it maybe 4 or 5 more times periodically. each time that it did this, it never actually stalled out, but acted like it was going to, then fired up again to normal. any ideas what might be happening? as always, thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Hiya, some things to check out.
    Fuel system
    Check tank cap vent, might be blocked with dust and debris
    Fuel filter, might be partially blocked
    Kinks in fuel line, or holes in line
    Main jet blocking partially.

Shorting low tension or high tension lead.
    Faulty plug cap/spark plug
    Earth wire intermittent fault

Not always easy to detect these problems, sometimes it's easier if the machine dies and stays dead. Then you have a specific fault to find :dizzy:
  3. allpro2009

allpro2009 LawnSite Member

thank you, i will try the your suggestions tonight.
  4. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

man, mine is doing the same thing, I took the carb apart to try to clean it, and opened up a damn hornets nest, the part that the bolt goes into the bottom of the bowl is stripped, can't tighten it up, I don't know what I'm going to have to do! Not even sure if that was the problem, but now I've got a bigger one...if I didn't have bad luck, I would have luck at all!