eXmark 48" hydro on slanted hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Monkee, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Monkee

Monkee LawnSite Member

I am going to upgrade to a bigger mower soon (i have a 21 inch)... and i am thinking about an eXmark 48" hydro. I don't have a very big problem with gates because the few lawns that do have gates, usually have another gate that is much wider for other things and i will be able to fit the 48" through there. And all of my residential lawns are between 1/4 acre to 1 acre (most are about 1/4 to 1/2 though). I have a one commercial lawn but i am trying to go more and more for commercial lawns now. My problem is that about half my lawns have a sloped hill going up to another level:

.........O....................--------------------
    .......--|--.............---
    .........|............---
    ......../ \........---
    --------------

(about like that, but some of the time it's not so steep or big), i hope you can understand the picture... i had to put periods in to keep the hill from sliding over and crushing the guy when i post it.

My question is that since i live in the foothills and half the lawns are a little bit hilly (most are relatively flat though), should i go for an eXmark 36" hydro instead of a eXmark 48" hydro or should i stay with the 48" and go for a floating deck? But since most of the hills on my lawns are just those slants could a eXmark 48" hydro do just fine?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get the 48" hydro. Heck, upgrade to a 52".

I was told this weekend the "correct" answer is 15% grade for Z's, 20% grade for w/b's. Email me if you would like anymore info. ------See Anthony, I can answer it the correct way. :p

3. Get a Turf Tracer 52" not the HP it has a much wider stance and wider and bigger tires.

20 degrees HOSS???????? I mean eXamark LOL

I know for a fact the TT will hold on steeper than that!!!

Closer to 40 degrees.

Dude the TT 52" is your best choice, I know it will cost more than the 48" but well worth the extras that come with it.