Exmark 48" TT VS. Wright Stander 48"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jan 28, 2003.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay people what do you think?

Right now I have a 48" ECS TT with a Proslide which I basically like overall. I am considering buying a Wright Stander 48" although I have not demoed one yet.

My reason for switching is basically time saved. Seems to me jumping on the Stander and quickly moving from lawn to lawn would be a lot quicker than getting on and off the Proslide. I have many areas with several small lawns that are close together. Plus it seems the manueverability would be better with the Stander on small lawns.

My average size lot is small, about 2500 sq. ft. of lawn area.

Has anyone here compared both mowers? Striping is important, I would want to set up the Stander to stripe as well as the Exmark does with the Proslide. Is this going to be possible, or will the Proslide blow the Stander away on striping?

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Ya know let's just make this easy on everyone... Screw everyone's opinion, since it's "YOU" that matters. Everyone one of us has our "own" thoughts, which can't possibly be yours.
    SO....... JUST DEMO ONE and find out "first hand" what you like better..........It's so easy............:blob2:

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think your gonna out stripe an exmark with a stander.but a hustler might,right Pete??:D

4. Doc Pete

Actually, I'm surprized about this big deal about striping. IMO, striping is just an unexpected benifit of using a commerical machine. I've yet to have a customer ask "how well does your machine stripe"?? They all want to know pricing and stuff like that. I guess I'm really laughing about all the concern of striping..........
    Pete

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

What he said!

6. naturescape

Switchless,

I thought one of the reasons Lawnsite was here was to compare equipment. There's snow on the ground now, I'm not about to demo a Stander now and see how it stripes. And I'm sure the Stander won't stripe great until I modify it, I'm not doing that on a demo! I've seen very little about the Stander vs. the Exmark w/proslide on striping, I just want to see what you guys think, jeez!!!

As far a the "big deal" about striping, I myself sure see a difference in my beautifully striped lawns and the other lawns out there. Why are ballparks, etc. so perfectly striped? Cause they just feel like going through the trouble of striping it and noone ever notices? Hell no! They do it because the stripes set it off so nicely.

Seems to me the LCOs that don't care about stripes say that just because they can't achieve them or don't want to take the time to learn how to do so (keeping smooth lines, having the equipment to do it, etc).

7. Doc Pete

Ray,

Sorry, you took my suggestion the wrong way. All I meant was, I'd demo the Stander before listening to 1,000 of us tell you our bias, prejudiced, narrowminded opinions. You can listen to us till you're blue in the face, but without demoing it, you can't find out if you like it or not. IOW, I test it first, before wasting all your time having us tell why we like or dislike it..........

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

naturescape,

I have an on the topic / off the topic question for you. You have the proslide and I've seen it mentioned a good bit on here, but I've never actually seen anyone using it nor have I even seen on mounted on anything at the dealership.

Now I've seen mention that it "retracts" or something. Does it have some sort of spring mechanism that lifts it out of the way when you step off or do you have to stop, pick it up and latch it up somehow? If it don't have the spring thing maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and sold the idea :blush:

Also, has it ever caused any turf damage?

9. naturescape

I have an on the topic / off the topic question for you. You have the proslide and I've seen it mentioned a good bit on here, but I've never actually seen anyone using it nor have I even seen on mounted on anything at the dealership.

Now I've seen mention that it "retracts" or something. Does it have some sort of spring mechanism that lifts it out of the way when you step off or do you have to stop, pick it up and latch it up somehow? If it don't have the spring thing maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and sold the idea

Also, has it ever caused any turf damage?

Envy,
    You can check out the Proslide at http://www.novaecorp.com/frame.htm The sent me a free video 6 years ago that sold me on their product. It looks like you can see the video online. It does retract out of the way when you step off. I would NOT put an experienced walk-behind user behind it, and it takes a bit of maintenance to keep up. Let me know what you think of their site.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that link! Here I thought the Proslide was made by Husqvarna. I learn something new on this site all the time. I liked the site and the video was great. It really answered my questions, corrected some of my thoughts and took some of the "myth" of the Proslide's operation out of my mind.