Exmark 48" Turf Tracer on Pick-up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Well, after humping around a 21 inch mower last year, you guys have convinced me to take a big step up. I just looked at a 48" Turf Tracer HP hydro with the ECS, electric start and 17 HP Kaw. Seems like a real nice machine. The dealer quoted $4,900 ($300 off list). I would be loading it onto my truck bed with alloy ramps ($200) to start. I'm a little worried about dropping it off the truck (a 3/4 ton Chevy). Do any of you haul your mowers in the truck bed? If so, any problems? Should I just break down and buy a small trailer and a 52 inch mower? Also, does this price seem high?

Thanks in advance.

2. Trauma

Trauma LawnSite Member

You're gonna get real tired of humping that big mower up and down the ramps into your truck bed. Get a trailer with a drop gate. You can never go wrong with a good trailer for all your equipment.

3. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

Invest in a solid trailer with a drop gate. Make sure it is big enough for any other machinary you may have. If the trailer is enclosed than all you need to do in the morning is hook up and go and at the end of the day unhook and lock up.Its just that easy.

4. Darryl G

gardengod - Thanks for the input. I'm just wondering if the gasoline fumes from the equiment gather in the trailer. Also, how's the access? Isn't it a pain to have to carry the trimmers and other equipment out instead of just grabbing it?

Thanks

5. Darryl G

I should have mentioned the other part of my dilema. I also have a compact utility tractor. I've been just driving that to close jobs and renting a trailer for further ones, but both are a pain in the you-know-what. I plan to buy a dedicated 4 ton trailer for the tractor (I was leaning toward a Cross Contry 16 foot). I can't see hauling mowing equipment on that, and I can't see hauling my tractor on a landscape trailer. I know that some of the landscape trailers 18 foot and up are rated for 4 plus tons, but are the decking and ramps tough enough for a 2 ton tractor plus some additional implements? This is my first year full time and I can't afford to be shelling out $ for a new mower, new blower and 2 trailers. I've looked at used trailers but can't find a deal I like.

What would you guys do?

6. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

Thats a dilema. So here is the solution if possible. Instead of putting out all that cash on new machinery and trailers ,look at leasing the equipment that is needed. Leasing is a right off and does not drain that bank account all at once. Instead of using your cash that you would of used for the purchase put in an account to use to pay the leases until your cash flow is healthy. Make sure that the leases are able to be paid in full early.Thats how I've operated for over 10 years.
    As for the fumes, trailers do have venting available.Also there are side doors on a lot of models.I hope this is a help.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

To start out I got a light duty 5X8 trailer with a split ramp. I can haul my 36 and a 21 side by side or a 52 with a 21 accross the back. I also have a trimmer trap on one side a tool box on the oppisite fender and a divider in the front for a space for gas cans and blowers. It all fits pretty good in a nice light package and I can just back the whole thing in to my 10 X 20 storage unit at night. One nice thing about my tralier is if it's empty , the ramps fold down onto the bed so theres no wind resistance.
    When I get a socond WB or a rider I will probably step up to a 6 X 18 tandem but this works great for now.

8. Darryl G

I just wanted to thank you guys for your input. I pick up my custom built 6 1/2 by 12 trailer on the 22nd. I was having nightmares about dropping my shiny red mower from a height of 3 feet. I didn't realize that a trailer fabrication shop had moved into town. Their trailers are sturdier and cheaper than the big name brands and if I crack a weld, he's right down the road. Cost me $1,400 with the trimmer rack. It's a tubular steel single axle 3,500 lb gross (2,900 load) with 2 x 6 PT floor. No brakes.

9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Good deal, you'd get tired of loading that big ol' mower up into a truck bed, a trailer will make it MUCH easier.

Hank

10. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

its easy to put a WB in a pickup, I do it everyday with my 36 exmark, and I have cousins who have been doing it for years with a 48 Deere walkbehind. I'm really triyng to figure out if I can put a 52 in my truck somehow, cause I have no room for a trailer