1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark 48" Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MnGreen, May 29, 2008.

1. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

2004 with 400 hours on it.
    Pretty clean..LCO trade in for Ferris 48".
    Dealer wants $3k.. private party search a better choice ?

Deal....or NO Deal :confused:
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I say Deal..

I paid $5200 for my tthp 48 I love every bit of it.

I would bet I would love a $3000 tthp much more!!
  3. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I know a guy that just bought a Turf Tracer with 200 hours on it MINT condition, for $2450 Shipped from PA to CT.
  4. MnGreen

Thanks for the referral but it's gone already.
    36 hours is all it lasted before they sold it.

The other machine the same company turned in on trade for a equal Ferris is a 2005 Exmark Turf Tracer 52" model for $3,500.

I'm just starting out here and I have no need for that size now, but if the price is as good as the machine maybe I should consider it.
  5. MileHigh

That's what I thought when I bought my 48". I figured I would only use it on "bigger" lawns. Well I tell ya what, I mostly cut residential, and I use my 48" much more than my 36". I try not to do any lawns where I have to use a 21 inch mower. I measure my gates when giving bids. I need at least 38 inches to fit my 36" inside the gate. This is crucial in my bidding process.

But you will be surprised on how many "smaller" lawns that you can use a bigger mower on.

That sounds like a descent price on that 52" Ex, It probably has a 19hp kawi with electric start on that beast. If you get it..i would suggest maybe picking up a 21" mower to go along with it...for those crappy gates, that is if you can't afford a 32"-36". There are many properties that I can bid a tad lower because of easy access to the back yard, get em, and mow em so darn fast.

But If your running just ONE mower... for resi's, I would get a 32" or a 36" HYDRO...The whole not having to shift for reverse, and the ease of use makes it so worth it.
  6. MnGreen

I Have (2) New Toro 21" commercials so gates and small properties are covered.
    Originally I was only considering a 36" hydro for my big mower my first season.
    Had it down to a 36" Ferris, Exmark and or a Quick 36 or 44.
    Started thinking about the "dual" hydro and now I'm in the 48" range used and thats how I got up to now a 52" model consideration.
    I have a $3,000 budget of which the dealer of course wants me to use as a down and sell me a ZT for $6,000.

I figure by the end of the week I'll be to the 61" limit and have to make a smart decision instead of all the back and forth. (lol)

My trailer is only 6 X 10 so I'm limited in to real excessive crazy thinking.

Appreciate your input and thoughts on the prices. Finally mowing will be the easy part of all this start up business.
  7. MileHigh

With the 21's covered nicely, I would say your defentely in the market for a or 48". I was skeptical at first...but the mower seems to get smaller and smaller everyday you use it and get used to it. You'll flip out on how fast you'll mow an account. Saves a lot on time and EFFORT.

JMO. I wouldn't buy a walk behind mower over the size of a 52" deck. After that...It's time for a ztr.