Exmark 48" walkbehind uneven cut on hillside

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jturnr, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jturnr

jturnr LawnSite Member

I have a new Exmark TTHP 48" walk-behind. What's the best practice in mowing a 50 foot hillside at roughly 20-30 degrees? The problem I have is the blades cutting deeper in the grass on the lower side of the deck. I start at the bottom and mow left to right. I then mow right to left on the way back, alternating directions all the way up the slope. Should I just mow in one direction all the way up the slope. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Start from bottom and do crosswise, crabwalking path by path on the way up. On steep hill, bigger deck has scalping problem but can be remedied by string trimmer at the end, the 36" is more suitable for very very steep hill cause it is narrow on deck and won't scalp on bumpy hill with harsh undulation.

3. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

check tire pressure....low side dips in, in either direction? it would be low pressure. should be at 15psi.

4. jturnr

jturnr LawnSite Member

i'll try walking the worst of it and see what happens...it seems the lower side in both directions cuts deeper...i'll check the tire pressure...thanks for the tips