eXmark 48" WB won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KevinACrider, May 15, 2008.

1. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I just bought my first mowers today. One was a 48" eXmark WB (the one with the 3 white stripes on the deck) and it ran great for me all day. I mowed a yard with it and it was pleased. I got it one, got it off the trailer, and it fired right up. I drove it around the yard making sharp turns, just to get the hang of them (I wasn't expecting to mow on my way home from buying them). It ran great for about a minute and then it just shut off. It didn't stutter or anything, just up and died. From that point I have not gotten it started. About 10' before it came to it's resting place, I had just clipped the corner of what used to be a flower bed and is now just a lump of dirt in my yard. I hit a few little rocks or stones but nothing major. I run over that hump every time I mow with my father's homeowner Cub Cadet. I also did it with his 20 year old Cub Cadet for years before.

So, the mower is dead and sitting there. I took apart the fuel line and checked to make sure it was clean, and it was. I put new, fresh gas in it. I must have pulled the cord over 100 times and nothing. It finally then through a spark out the exhaust and then I stopped trying for the night. When I checked the oil it was brand new but it was also low. Prior to this it was started over 5 times and started good. Needed a shot of start fluid this morning but it started fine 3 more times throughout the day.

Keep in mind, this is my first mower so it could even be something really ******** that I just don't know about. I wasn't given a lesson, or a book, or anything. Just a mower.

2. KevinACrider

Also, it has the Kawi 14hp engine.

3. KevinACrider

Bump. Can anyone direct to me some basic information for these mowers? I'd like to familiarize myself with the mowers.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Tried to post yesterday but server too busy. The Kawi single cylinders need choke to start even when hot usually. I don't have a 14 but have two 12.5's. When you push the throttle to full choke watch what happens down on the throttle plate. There's a screw that pushes on the choke rod. Turn it in a little for more choke and hope it does the trick. If that doesn't help turn it back where it was. Hope it is something minor.

5. KevinACrider

I will try that first thing in the morning. Are there any kill switches or anything that I may have tripped to make it suddenly shut off? What else could cause the mower to just shut off?

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure it is in neutral, make sure your blade is not engaged. It may have a safety kill switch on it. Try to find a manual online for it.

If all that does not work, you need to see if you have good spark. If not then you probably will have to take it to a shop, unless you know how to diagnose all of that.

7. KevinACrider

I can work around car and truck engines for the most part but I've not had any experience with small engines. I was unaware it had to be in neutral to start ( I should have assumed but I did not ) and will double check that. Blade's are not engaged, I do know that. Where would the kill switch be located if it did in fact have one?

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The only trouble I can remember with either kawi 12.5hp was one was hard to start. They are close to the same, but not identical twins. I went to Lowes and got a little longer metric screw for more push on the choke rod, that did it, and no trouble since.

Also a dirty air filter or bad plug will cause hard starting. Take the air filter off and if it starts okay that is probably it. Air filter will quit breathing good in a spell of dry weather faster than you think.

9. KevinACrider

I did remove the air filter and try it that way, still no go. What could explain the backfire? Just the extra octane from the shot of starter fluid?

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Needing a valve adjustment maybe? I bought a Kawasaki Inc. shop manual on the 12.5's from farmersexchage.com that has good info, but have not used it much yet. Was about $20 or so.