EXMARK 48HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Apr 19, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ok I feel dumb asking this one, but this is my first commerical machine, and I just started driving it around my yard, everything works fine. However in spots with little grass when i turn it seems to tear the grass and dirt. How do I avoid this. Basically I figure I must be whipping around to fast when i turn, but how can i fix this, or do i just need to practice a bit more?

2. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

What is the machine? ztr? walkbehind? one thing that helps is practice.

3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Its a walkbehind, nevertheless I am sure the setup is standard, I am just having trouble making turns, grass seems to tear.

4. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

the tires will rip the turf upif youstop one tire completely and pivot the machine...ways to avoid this 1 put the pivot wheel in neutral and pull back as a zero turn effect or 2 slow down the pivot wheel and turn in an arc you'll need a larger perimeter cut-maybe 2 passes for this hope this helps

5. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Do a search on tearing, it'll show a thread on a kubota and there is some good things in there that'll help you. But Practice is the key.

6. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

with a hydro you need to put the pivot tire in reverse just a little bit. If you want to turn around and use your left tire as the pivot, at the end of the strip slightly reverse your left grip while you slightlymove the right tire forward. Basically you will be backing up your pivottire about 6 inches when you are turning the outer tire around.

7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

They have given you the advice that I would tell you. Its pretty much the only way. Pull back on that pivot wheel!!

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

did you mean 48"? i am still having similar troubles with 65hoss' 52" Laser.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Too much power for the boy!!! :D

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

triangle turn is what you guys need to try. will not tear the turf. rufur said it. also take 2 laps around the yard to make it easier. good luck to you. it wil take some practice