1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark 48metro hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Mar 20, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Is it worth spending the extra $500 or so on the Exmarkhp, or does the 48 metro work fine?
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I had to make the same decision just a year ago when I was in the market for a walkbehind. I believe made the right decision and got the HP. The HP has larger wheels, with less side walls, which makes hilly terrain more easily manuverable. But mostly why I bought the HP over the regular metro is because of the deck. I didn't want to have to screw around with spacers and bolts everytime I changed the deck height. Just four pins, easy as that with the HP. Also a floating deck beats the fixed deck any day, less scalping!! In my opinion, you are already spending a small chunk of change, why not put just a little more into your investment and get the most out of it in the field. You wont regret it. Good Luck with you decision.
  3. dmk395

from Ma

Come on need a few more responses!
  4. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

I have the hp also and would recomend spending the extra money it will be worth it, especially when you need to raise or lower the deck!
  5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

The HP is the only way I would ever go. Had a fixed-deck Deere for along time...Wouldn't go back.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey i have both the metro and the hp.the metro is getting sold this year the extra $500 is well worth it. i wish i would of never bought the metro and just gotten 2 hps.
  7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 48" Metro HP & love it! (15hp kaw)

It's more $ for LOTS of reasons! I consider it a bargain!

BTW: I just had the mulch kit put on yesterday. If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered the 48 w mulch on it! I think this is definately the way to go!

BTW BTW: FLOATING DECK!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

I have 2 48" Metro, I think that they do just fine. I don't mind the spacers and clip pins... How often does one need to raise and lower a deck anyways. Only benefit that would mean much to me is that the HP deck floats. I mow high anyways , so I don't see any scalping. It's a very cost effective machine. Someday, I will graduate to a hydro and a ZTR. I think it is a personal preferance and a pocket book issue. I want to many other toys that I could spend the extra $500 on at least for now. Just my $.02
  9. dmk395

from Ma

Thanks for the advice everyone. After hearing this I purchased the HP today. Will have it in about a week.