Exmark 52" AS A little help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowwmann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mowwmann

mowwmann LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Went to local dealer yesterday. Told him I needed at least 4-52" Exmarks with Ultra Cut decks. He has 3-2006 models in stock, and can get the newer models. We have been buying from this dealership since 1980(new owner now) and new manager says he will give us great price to move these 2006 models.

Question I have is are these AS models decent. We have used HP's in the past but after investigating the changes and problems I am not touching a Triton Deck. Other than location of the controls and hp of engines are their any other differences I should be concerned with. Negatives I can use when we "negotiate". Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences with these models
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

have been running the Exmark 52" ultra cut all season. 23 hp Kohler, Mine is a 2006.
    I purchased last years model because I got a Great price, Havent found any issues with it. as you know make sure it has the hevy duty air cleaner, foot asst, and try to stay away from the metel discharge chute, that they push on ya.

make sure that the pumps are set right... I had to adjust mone ant it should
    nt have been a PITA but it was.... Good luck
  3. mowwmann

mowwmann LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

These Advantage series dont have the canister air filter system. Should I stear clear. We have had the canisters on our previous mowers, they were HP'a though
  4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

They can probably upgrade to the Donaldson Cannister for you very reasonably.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like you get a little extra hp out of the standard filter set up anyway and they certainly used to be good for upwards of 2000 hrs on a kohler. We have both and the ones with canister filters (27hp kohlers with 1000 and 300 hrs) have always run a little "weird" in comparison to the old style filtered ones (25 kohler and 25 kawi---1500 and 1000 hrs).
    I wouldn't be afraid of them plus you can always upgrade.
  6. mowwmann

mowwmann LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

thanks for the input. So we really shouldn't be worried about the filters if we trade in every 2 years. We will try them out, and hopefully by then Exmark will have the Triton deck issues resolved.
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the Deck issues were resolved last year. They have been updated in production for about a year now.

If not, buy the AS like you plan. We sell more AS with the ultra cut 52 and 28 hp kawi then the full size lazers anyway. You'll be happy. The Donelson filters should be standard on the AS models. Maybe these are older then the dealer is telling you.

Serial number starts witht he number of the year it was built. 5xxxxx is a 2005 built machine. 6xxxxx is a 2006 build machine.
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to the ExMark guru on here ............ John Gamba he can tell you anything and everything about the ExMark that you ever wanted to know
  9. mowwmann

mowwmann LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Are the Triton Decks heavier? I am certain the model the dealer showed me didnt' have a canister. I made mention to it and he said that it wouldn't be a problem. I can always ask him to change it out if it is worth it. I will check the serial numbers, thanks for the heads up, good to have some knowledge when dealing with these jokers.
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

well one of these jokers just gave you the info, hahahaha.

Canister filters will standard as far as i know on the as models from the beginning. The only lazers that didn't have canisters were the CT models.