Exmark 52" hp or 60"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Dec 9, 2002.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Narrowed down my first ztr needs Looked at walkers scags ect, came up with the exmark 52" hp with 23 hp kawasaki... Just curious? .. should I go for it and get the 60" full size lazer with the 25 hp kohler,, propertys I am going for are from 15000 sq ft to 1 acre and then some small township cemetarys.

Right now I am using a crapsman 12 hp but it is really starting to embarrase me and I am being limited on property sizes, and really fall behind on propertys that want to be cut once every two weeks, Need more POWER ergh Please keep comments Between the two sizes and models 52" or 60" HP or full size lazer

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

You really cant go wrong with either one. It all depends on where you want your business to go. If you want to grow into larger props, then go with the 60. If you want to stay with sm to med props like you have, then you can go with either mower. If you do go 60", next year(now) you can get the 27 Koh instead of the 25.

3. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I chose the 52 cuz it fit in tighter spaces, reducing trimming for me.

4. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I have a 60 inch and a 52 inch deck. They both have there advantages and disadvantages, but if I could only have one it would be the 60 inch. I don't know if it is the smaller blades(probably less blade tip speed) on the 52 inch, but the cut is not as good and I always have trouble with the deck building up with grass when mowing wet grass. I would get the 60 inch. It hardly ever builds up with grass in wet conditions and the cut is superior. And besides you would be suprised with where you can go with a 60 inch deck.

5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

the specs sheet shows that the blade tip speed is the same on both mowers, are you saying that the 52 doesnt spread or disharge as far as the 60". I also saw a young mower jockey mowing on a hill that was at least 25 - 30 degree bank going straight up and turning at the top and riding back down I would have crapped my pants if it was me on the thing seemed dangerous. but he made it look EZ it was a 60" on a small commercial office prop there wasnt anywhere he couldnt go with it.... It must be TECHNIQUE..

6. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

60 inch is a great size. You will be amazed how much you will be able to get done with it. I bought a 72" last year instead of a 60" at the suggestion of an old guy around here and have been very happy with it. I use it anywhere it fits and as far as uneven ground it is easy with some practice to do a good job on that as well.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 52" HP and it works great for what we do. Residentials with lots of landscaping make this machine perfect. Its about the same lenght as a w/b, so you can go anywhere a w/b can. The HP has a lower center of gravity, so the hill holding ability is great. I've put the HP places the w/b would have a hard time. We handle properties from 5000sf to 2+ acres. It works great for an all around workhorse.

8. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 65hoss, I think the 52" is the perfect size.You can do almost anything with it.:D

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 52 and it seems to be the right size for me. My properties fall anywhere between 10,000 sg ft to 6 acres.
    It is fast and efficient and gets into some tight spots.
    If you are doing cemetaries you will have a lot of tight places.

10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I have 2 60" and the 52" Toro walkbehind hardly ever comes off the trailer. I do anything from 10,000 sf to 7 acres. The benefit in my opinon is the fact that you will be on a rider, no matter what size and will say time and effort!