Exmark 52" Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCee, Nov 3, 2005.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Is the 23hp Kawasaki suitable for this machine? Also I read on a few posts down that it has considerable blowout when mowing over leaves....Anyone else had this problem?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the 23hp Kawasaki runs this machine well.

Yes, the blowout is CONSIDERABLE.

It's not just leaves either. Look on top of the deck in my little avatar pick. They have a little front discharge action going on at all times and it collects on top of the deck. They stay covered in mess.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Oh... forgot to add... I recommend waiting for the '06 models if you can.
    If you can't wait and have to have it now, I recommend getting the Lazer Z, not the HP.

4. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Why not the HP, Envy?

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had an HP 23 52". I had a mulching kit on it, never noticed that the blowout was any worse on it than on any other machine. I did try to run doubles on it, only for about a minute. I was covered in grass! Decided that you can not put double blades on an exmark, at least not with that deck. I never got around to trying it on fall leaves mulching, sold it before fall got here... I did use it that spring before the grass greened up totally for my first cut, mulching, even cutting lower than usual, and was amazed at how nice it cut and mulched. That opinion quickle flew out the window as soon as the grass started to grow and was green and juicy. Mulching was no longer possible and I can't side discharge any of my lawns so the machine sat in my garage collecting dust all summer.

6. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hey Envy,

You have been really helpful to me as I try to start a small business here in NY. Thanks a ton...

It is the end of the season here, and I have about 12 cleanups to do in the next two weeks. I also got about 8 steady mow accounts for next year. I am looking to advertise in the spring to get a bunch more, but this is what I got so far.

That being said...just starting, I figured Id go with the philosphy of start small with equipment and buy more as the need presents itself. So I started with a 36inch lesco WB and I just bought an old 48inch Exmark WB with a nice Trac VAC system on it. (So old there is no name such as Metro Viking etc). It really sucks the leaves well and I got it for $550.

Anyway I wanted to get either a Ztwo or Tank as you have talked so highly about them, and price was good...and thats what I was planning on doing until I was looking on ebay. I saw what the seller described as a 2004 52 inch Exmark Lazer Z with 157 hours (23hp liquid cooled). This caught my eye and with a starting price of 3000 I kept looking.

Well I did a little reasearch (again new to the biz) and found that exmark did not make a 23hp liquid cooled for the last few years. Matter of fact the last time they did was in 2002. So I know the seller was wrong/lied about that.

Regardless the auction ended today and I won the bid for 3100. Lets say it is a 2002 with those specs listed above. Decent deal you think? I'm waiting to get the serial # to find out but just curious. I know too that if he lied about the year...what else did he lie about but..... Oh yeah check it out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=8011556273

Thanks for response

The page for some reason wont work as a link, but if you open ebay and cut and paste it works for me....let me know if it doesnt Ill try something else.

7. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

JCee, i now know why you got a good deal on the Lazer.

Every time I did a "completed" search for it on ebay (under outdoor power equipment), I came up blank.

I then punched in the item number and found it.

Did you see what catagory he had it under? "Floor mats and carpets" for "car and truck parts".

You got a deal because only 2 other people must have seen it. Good find.

8. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 hp and the blowout is much greater on the hp than the regular 60 inch lazer that I run. The reason being is that the baffles on the hp model do not come down as far in the front as they do on the full size lazer ultra cut deck. Envy was right about waiting for the 2006 models to come out. Deeper decks and look like really nice machines from the photos that I have seen.

9. Envy Lawn Service

JCee,
    Wow that's a good buy.
    I think you'll be happy with that if everything is straight up about it.

I have to wonder why anyone would lie about the model year though...
    Well unless they didn't know better.

Anyways, I have a model year de-coder here for eXmark if I could ever find it. However, just know that unit is at newest a 2001 model. I can tell that just by looking at the tank filler necks and the decals.

Everything 2002 and newer has larger filler necks and caps.
    Anything 2003 and newer does not have a black background on the decal.

But heck, if this is for real, who's counting model years? No reflection on what year it was sold or what condition it is in. I know where there are some older than that still in the crate! Also, 157 hours is nothing, especially on a L/C Kawi. The wear on the trim side looks a little much for 157 hours of homeowner use though.

Anyways, here's to hoping this is straight up. If so, you got a heck of a deal no question, and a machine with a good 2000+ hours left so long as a pump or wheel motor doesn't fail.

You'll be happier with that than you would be with an '05 HP.
    I'd give 3K for that anytime without a second thought.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I've posted some pretty good personal reasonings on here before. That being said, I'd rather dig those up for you sometime and quote myself than drudge through it all again.... kills my mood ya know?

Anyways, read this post as it's a good place to start on that subject.

Jason, looking like you have been weed whacking after running a lawn mower is nutz huh? I also have a good understanding of your sentiments about the rest. Now here comes the part I find hard to explain.... it's not that they are terrible machines overall or anything.... they are otherwise really dang nice machines in a lot of ways.... That's not the issue at all. It's the performance and the design of a few things.

Anyways, out of curiosity, what did you run while your Dust Collector HP set idle collecting dust?