exmark 60 inch 25 hp write the check or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman59, Aug 20, 2002.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Local equipment dealer has an exmark mower 60 inch deck 1000 hrs 25 hp 1996 vintage $3750 do i write the check or pass. It definately be an improvement over my craftsmen I am using now

Bruce

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has a used mowers on their web site, check the prices.

Also Hustler has used machines. ED

3. turfman59

I did last nite wow they are high!!!

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

turfman,

I did last nite wow they are high!!!

Which are high? Your "deal" or some of the ones on Exmarks site?

For $3750 your getting a 7 year old mower with marginally high hours.

The older Lazers are NOT what the 2000+ models are.

I'd pay no more than 2k for it. They just made LOTS of improvements between 96 and 03!

There are better deals out there!

5. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I'd hold out for a good used one no more than 2 yrs. old. Like previous post stated, they have changed a lot, and all for the better. I picked up a one yr old exmark 25hp, 60'" with 240 hours on it for $5300, and it included a mounted grass catcher (I'll only use it for leaves, but it was part of the deal).

6. turfman59

Thanks for the input I'll keep looking, No one around my local has many trade- ins, and when they do there gone

Bruce

7. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I too started with a Craftsman and it did not take long for me to realize that I needed a commercial mower so I bought a used 25hp 60" Snapper with 500hrs for $3500 (+200 for new filter system). I used it for the weekend and was not satisfied because it had a uneven cut and that was too much $ to spend and not be completly satisfied. 3 days later I traded it in on a new 44" 20hp Toro Z Master for $5995.00. I used it a week but it was bogging down after turns and that was too much $ to not be completely satisfied. I returned it to the dealer and he informed me of a carburator upgrade for the 20 hp Kohler but by this time my mind was made up. I came home with the 52" 25hp Kohler Toro Z Master $6995 (man this addiction is progressive) and what a difference the larger frame makes. It was the best thing I could have done. I dont make any profits this year but I will be comfortable while I am broke. I believe my business has increased because of it and I am just a part timer when I get off work. Take the plunge you will not be sorry!

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats right much money. i got my 52 for
    2250 . from an individual getting out o the buisiness. ive used the older ones and new ones . not really much difference .
    just a good idea that was and is a super machine.
    u dont see white or black smoke .
    deck is strait. spindles firm. think it might be a good deal. good luck

9. spomerhome

spomerhome LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Yup, I run two walkers and just demo'ed a 48" mulcher (Exmark) today on a 7 acre property. Man that baby can really fly! And didn't bog down (yes it is a dry heat and dry grass today too). You can hear the blade speed difference.

What usually takes two of us 2.5 hours (including bagging and loading grass into truck) took us 1 hour and 10 minutes (no bagging) and the cut was really nice.

No doubt, the deck is a little larger and I had to be careful around the gentle slopes so I didn't scalp or gouge but I wish I could figure out how to run those laser's around on my small residential properties!

I do think the Walker is the only way to go on our bagging jobs but I'm looking pretty serious at the Laser(s) since I have a few large (2,500 homes) HOA's coming up next month.

Good luck with finding a nice used one! None down in my part of the country unless they're pretty USED.