Exmark 60" Lazer X-Series w/a FX801V

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by The Kid, Jun 11, 2013.

1. The Kid

The Kid LawnSite Member

I just bought a Exmark, after looking at a lot of different mowers. Scag, Husqvarna, Bad Boy, Hustler and so on. The folks I bought it from said that the Kawasaki had 29hp. Kawpower.com state that the mower has 25.5hp/44.6 torque. I called Exmark and they said that they no longer give hp ratings but said that this motor "acts" like a 29hp. Well....hmmmm. I was reasured buy the shop (by the way, this shop, the employes and owners are friends), that this set up will do what I want. What I need is a mower that won't bog down in wet grass, high grass, and so forth. I don't pick it up until tomorrow and was wondering what you guys (or gals) thought. Any help would help.
    Thanks, Kid

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

The new critical power ratings over ride the old ratings. It's probably the same engine but at a different rating.

I you needed more power you should have bought more power. Scag offers the 35 hp briggs vanguard engine and Toro offers the 34 hp Kohler command EFI. Those will be the major power producers. Both are one liter engines.

3. The Kid

The Kid LawnSite Member

An under rated 29 would be OK. An over rated 25.5 I have concerns about. I haven't picked it up or tested it. I was told by the dealer and all that worked there that the 801 had 29hp.

4. Jubilee

Jubilee LawnSite Member

I have the FX801. Never had to slow down when mowing wet.
    I mowed some pretty tall fescue today cause I'm extending my back yard into a section that I used to just bush hog. The engine bogged some sure, but it never even came close to stopping.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

get it out and test it, the only way to see if you think its adequate

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It's the exact same engine that it has always been, only now it is correctly rated at 25.5 hp (after the class action lawsuit regarding manu's way over rating their engines). Kawi is rating them accurately. Others like Kohler are slowly coming a round to the correct ratings. It'll do what it always did, and be plenty of engine for 99% of the mowing you'll likely ever do.

7. The Kid

The Kid LawnSite Member

An under rated 29 would be OK. An over rated 25.5 I have concerns about. I haven't picked it up or tested it. I was told by the dealer and all that worked there that the 801 had 29hp.

8. The Kid

The Kid LawnSite Member

That will help. I guess I entered the same reply twice. I'm as nervous as a two peckered billy goat. Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to buy it (haven't signed anything, but won't be a pri#k to a friend ), and find out later it doesn't have any balls.

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is always kinda funny to me because back when they were still rated at 29 hp, most guys thought they were a strong engine that were more than enough for the application. Now, even though they have the same exact power they always did, many guys are worried about them being "weak". They aren't. I have the FX850 which is only 1.5 hp more on the same engine block, and it has more than enough power for anything short of bush hogging.

Read all about it here. Click on where it says learn more about critical power etc, plus you can look at the actual engine specs-

http://kawpower.com/

10. The Kid

The Kid LawnSite Member

Good point Green. That makes perfect sense. Thanks