Exmark ABB awful, New Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 8, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Installed the ABB on my HP, it performed beautifully in just grass, keeping blowout to and absolute mininium. However, with temps finally hitting below 60 at night around here, today was my first big leaf day. Right now I have double Extreme blades installed which worked very well on making the leaves disappear. (After three different passes)

However, it looked like there was a Redmax blower under my deck with the amount of leaves coming out of it. I have tried another type of setup, with the micro mulch blades that came with the mulch kit and Extremes on top, and had pretty much the same effect.

After being covered in leaf dust from head to toe, I need to get another type of blade on there.

Does the micro mulch blades work better by themselves with leaves?

Or should I just get double low lift mulch blades?

I could not wait on Terry to post this tomorrow.... Thanks
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My buddy uses single Gators on his with no complaints. Try the single MM blades and see what it does.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using the exmark mulch kit??

The double blades are making too much air and causing the blowout.
    I have used the exmark mulch blades without the mulch kit and they work ok, but there is no liftwith them. If you are discharging, I use gator blades and they work good, not a lot of blow out either. If you are using the mulch kit then the exmark wavy~~ blades work fine with it.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are using the exmark mulch kit use the exmark blades with it
    believe me exmark has already tried many blades before they made there own
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried all kinds of setups for leaf mulching with the Exmark. The ONLY way to go for me is:

No mulch kit.
    Double blades, works best with Exmark LOW-LIFT on bottom (I had to order mine), gators on top.
    And the charm is putting skirting on the front of the deck, eliminates all the blow out. I used outdoor carpeting, bolted on so it touches the ground.
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on with out any mulch kit.
  7. naturescape

Megmos sure did NOT work for me, at ALL, on my ExM 48 TT. Trust me, use the setup I described, you won't be disappointed. I have mulched PILES of leaves a couple feet high with a few passes.
  8. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

When you say no mulch kit, do you mean to leave the discharge blocker on there or take it off?

Yeah I figured that the double blades are causing too much lift, so I am taking them off tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys
  9. naturescape

I like to use an OCDC, usually the first pass with it closed, then the next passes with it open.
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Just leave the dis charge blocker on with the MEG MO blades and it will do great in leaves then for grass take the blocker of.