1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Aerator plug count per sq ft

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by djagusch, Jan 26, 2012.

1. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Interested in seeing how this compares to LS's claims in the past and other mfg's. Exmark has them posted on their website. I have not seen other mfg's state plugs per sq ft, just a tine pattern. Hoping Exact chimes in.

21" 36 tines, 4.6 plugs per sq ft
    24" 36 tines, 4 plugs per sq ft
    30" 48 tines, 4.6 plugs per sq ft

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh:

Yes finally some truth in plug count from a manufacturer for a change. My hats off to Exmark for having the peebles to post the correct mathematical count for the dual hydro LS/Exmark/Toro.

I will have to check my notes on the 21” and stander. Both have the same tines spacing.

....more later.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

All those plug counts indicate is you'd better double pass for best results.
    Typical rolling tine counts.

4. Exact Rototilling

Stander and 21” WB are actually 4.571428571428571 plugs per sq foot

Yes just checked. Stander and 21” WB are actually 4.571428571428571 plugs per sq. foot.

So rounded off 4.6 is good.

I keep getting conflicting reports on tine spacing on the Turfco XT5 so I can't compare. :rolleyes:

5. Exact Rototilling

Given a choice I’d rather mow over a lawn aerated [single pass] with my Lawn Solution 21” WB than my Plugr 850 [single pass]. Dirt cloud and debris kicked up by the mower is pretty extreme with a single Plugr 850 pass.

The Oregon G6 gators do the best job on plug break up BTW.

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You otta walk across a lawn after a Ryab lawnaire 28 makes a single pass. That thing must pull 15-18 plugs per sqft.

7. Exact Rototilling

Yes those pull 8.5 per square foot as per tine spacing. Currently the tightest pattern in a single pass with a walk behind aerator. Never seen one in person. Would love to try one out and compare with my plugr 850's
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. oomph

oomph LawnSite Member

don't take my word for it just yet, as I plan to call my Turfco rep again this week to confirm, but I think I recall him saying 6.

I'll be in touch with him this week and can confirm. Perhaps Turfcobob can chime in as well, since he's a regular on these forums.

9. oomph

oomph LawnSite Member

10. Exact Rototilling

The only way to accurately calculate it is based on tine spacing fore and aft then left right. It the formula Purdue uses. Another lawnsite member in the last 18 months straightened me out on it. I was doing crazy things like plotting on graph paper...doing square foot cut out square equivalent etc.
    Counting the holes....rotating the square etc. :dizzy:

I'm actually a fan of Turfco Bob's post. I wish he'd offer a aeration seminar online course since he's a wealth of information.

Anyhow he'll say something to the effect of soil fracturing advantage of the X or V factor of a fixed tine ripping the turf subsoil and roots.

However there is no denying the superior topdress effect of a Plugr delivering the plugs up near the top of the grass blades making the top dressing effect from the distribution of soil back down on top of the turf for thatch breakdown etc.

My experience is plugr hydro can rip and.tear in their own right when you slow.the machine down using the front hydro as a brake. It will actually lift the sod off the sub soil.
    Posted via Mobile Device