1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark-after mowing?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mmedley, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mmedley

mmedley LawnSite Member

just got an 36" exmark metro(used), is there anything special i should do to the mower after cutting.......i.e lube belts...etc??

when i had the normal 22" mower i would just hose them off.....just want to know should i be doing anything extra.....
  2. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

I wouldn't do anything other than hosing (or better yet, blowing) it off after you get done mowing. That Exmark is built to cut as much as you cut in a summer in a week. Stay on top of oil changes and spindle greasings, I wouldn't touch the belts unless they were giving you trouble. clean the deck every once in a while to prevent a lot of rust, better yet, coat the underside of the deck with fluid film. If you download the manual for your model it will give you maintenance intervals. Also, if you want to keep up with maintenance (and usually improve resale value), get an hour meter and keep a log showing that maintenance was performed as recommended.

Take-home message: Take care of it about like you would your car. Just do what needs to be done when it needs to be done and you should be able to beat it every week, and it will still last a decade or two.
  3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

my exmart 26 metro just gets blown off at the end of the day thats it
  4. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

I was always told not to hose off the mower until it cools. Can seize the bearings if they are hot.....is this correct?
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

never mind... what I was saying was already stated.
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just take the backpack to it every night and maybe once in awhile give it a good cleaning...under deck and lube it if possible (if it has zerk fittings) every couple of days.