Exmark and Honda combined?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Tropical Trim, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

Mr. Exmark,
    I saw a advertisment with a Dixie chopper combined with a Honda 24hp engine. Just wondering when or if Exmark will ever merge their great mowers with one of the best engines around. I can imagine the performance and reliability of combining two great pieces of machinary together!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I owned a bigger honda motor recently. Parts are hard to find and the quality of them are not as good as the honda small motors. I don't really think its a good selling point to exmark because of time down with part problems and lack of dealers wanting to stock them.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tropical Trim,

Honestly we have talked with Honda but haven't fit an engine to a Lazer. There are a lot of factors that go into Exmark using an engine.

Cost is a big one, Honda engine are priced higher. Pricing for you guys in the field is something we have to be sensitive to. Let's face it, price is the first thing we all look at. We will pay more money, but there better be more of a value.

The area we would also be very concerned with is how well they stand behind their product. We all know .... happens, things break, and not everything goes as planned. The engine manufacturer and their warranty represent our product, because of the engine. If you can't get parts or find out answers to what's going wrong, frustration levels go though the roof.

Thanks for the great remarks and I will past this info to the Big Wheels here at Exmark. Hopefully we will get an engine fit-up and do some testing with it. Any of you guys know of somebody that could put some hours on a machine? :D

Thanks, Fred.

4. Tropical Trim

Tropical Trim LawnSite Member

Hoss65- Thanks for the input. Here in Hawaii Honda seems to be a engine of choice. Being the most widely used engine parts are redily availiable(most of the time). I've never used a larger Honda engine so I would'nt know about it's reliability and performance. We use the 13hp daily and it seems as if every thing around it breaks down with time but the engine it self still fires up daily. I personally think that Honda engines must have the highest compression and the best fuel milage, hp for hp compaired to other engines. Thus giving us the performance and reliability that we wouldnt mind paying extra for.

Fred- thanks for the reply. I guess theres a whole lot more to trying a engine from new manufactures. I heard that Honda was giving up making lawn tractors, but will still make parts. When I heard this statement, I made a assumption that they were going to try to sell thier engines to mower companys instead of trying to compete in sales with thier mowers. Then when I saw the Dixie with the Honda engine, it comfirned my own personal beleaf. Well thanks again for the reply and I would love to try out that Lazer/Hona combo!