Exmark Belt pricing/availability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Navig8r, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I need to replace the main deck drive belt on my Lazer Z HP(due to my own stupidity:blush: )
    I went to a local dealer, he didn't stock it, but would order it for me........ BUT it seems that it goes for $95.00 !!!!!!
    :eek:

This seems high to me for a belt, regardless of size...... Does anyone know of any other sources/part #'s, etc for a replacement belt?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS... No, I don't mind paying for my stupidity, nor do I avoid costs of doing business, But $95.00 for a V-Belt seems like quite a bit!

2. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I just received by oem replacement belts fron jthomas distributors today and low and behold they say exmark on them. The cost was $49.00. I believe their phone # is 1-800-828-7980 or website is jthomas.com, I think.

3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

That is a consulting LLC site??

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i would say at 95 bucks somebodies
    just taking u money. jmho.but i do believe it. ticks me off too. thiefs a thief.
    i tell my mechanics etc that i want them to make enough off me to be glad to see me coming. but if one rips me off and im sure of it. he usually hears about it rite then. and a lot of other people do too.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

With next day air and taxes I paid over $100 for one last year. When your in a hurry there is no time to shop around.

7. Navig8r

Luckily, I'm not in a great rush... belt is still functional.. but I caused some damage to it, so I'll replace it before it breaks and leaves me stranded.

8. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

Exmark 2002 parts price list shows that belt to retail for $75.20.

I am not making an excuse for your local dealer for retailing the belt for that much more over retail. However, I rarely sell parts at the suggested list price. 2 reasons.

1. My Exmark distributor has no free freight policy. I pay freight on every item I order. I increase my retail to compensate for freight. Any dealer that doesnt, is quite frankly, losing money.

2. Suggested retail is just that. "SUGGESTED" I believe in making a fair profit on any item sold through this dealership. Your local dealer adding almost 30% over retail is, in my opinion, a bit to greedy.

Good Luck!!

Parts Guy
    :sleeping:

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Navig8tr:

Are you referring to the Mule Drive belt? (runs between engine/clutch and the deck).

If so....please read on. (if not...please ignore).

Do you still have the old belt and is it broken in just one place??

If so...measure the length.

If it is 111" go to Home Depot and grab a deck belt for a Scott's S1742/S1642 riding tractor. They are actually John Deere belts. The John Deere pn# is M110313 DF and it is printed on the belt itself. They are about 1/2 inch shorter than the OEM belt but the belt adjustment and spring loaded idler have plenty of compensation. The width, depth, and profile of the balts are the same.

I ran into this same problem with my Lazer Z...except mine has a 60" deck. I was behind schedule and it broke on a friday afternoon...and my dealer was not going to be able to get it until the following wednesday...arrrggghhh!

I have about 460 hours on this belt (which is already about 100 hours more than I got from the OEM belt!)...it is showing minimal wear and have had absolutely zero problems with this switch.

Cost? $20!

The "Quick Reference" parts lookup on the Exmark website gives the same part number for the 53", 60", and 72" MULE DRIVE belts.

The deck/blade belts are all different numbers.

Please measure your old belt, if possible, just to be sure. Good luck! :)

10. Navig8r

Thanks for the info !!:D

BTW.. the dealer I went to had gone on to tell me that list on this belt was $100 and something dollars..... I was tuning him out by then......