1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Belt Slip

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by font7904, Feb 5, 2003.

1. font7904

font7904 LawnSite Member

I have a 18 year old belt driven 48" exmark with sulky. It has worked great since I bought it used, only complaint is that the belt slips when wet, this last summer it started doing it in dry weather. I checked and filled the transmission grease and it didn't help. Running the machine without the sulky seemed to help somewhat, but belts still want to slip. Aside from changing the oil and greasing the bearings I have not done anything to the mower. I have never (nor have the previous owners) ever changed or adjusted the belts or springs on the machine. Any thoughts on what is going on or how to stop it from slipping would be appreciated.
  2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

replace the belts and pulleys
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you said it yourself: you need to adjust your belts. It is a simple adjustment. You need to adjust the rods that tension the drive belts so that they apply more pressure to the drive belts.
  4. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

I agree, clean out the pulley grooves and adjust the belts. Look
    at the threaded rods and it is evident the direction the adjustment needs to go.

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

adjusting the belts should work if it dont replace the pulleys and the belts if they need to be
  6. font7904

font7904 LawnSite Member

I've tried adjusting the treaded rods. Did not seem to help.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No no no no. Your doing the wrong belt. You need to adjust the trans belt. Between the motor and the trans on the frame is an eye bolt. You need to loosen it from the bottom and tighten the belt. That is the belt that is pulling the unit. I'm betting you can actually almost hold the mower back if you wanted to. If so, this is the belt you should do.
  8. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

First of all, your dealling with an 18 year old Exmark. Sounds like an old Viking or Metro 5speed to me. You should at least replace all the belts and check the pulleys for wear, especially the cast iron pulleys on the spindles. And like "65hoss" mentioned you should have all belts adjusted properly. You can get an owners manual from Exmark or any competent Exmark dealer, which will show you how to replace the belts and adjust them.
    Also, if yours has the old style single groove belt on each side, they always used to slip especially in the morning when the grass still had dew on it. Make sure the previous owner didn't remove the groove cleaners from the pulleys on the wheels, these keep the grass from caking up in the pulleys.
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

When it's really wet, even the double grooved belts will slip....Water and gripping power don't mix....simple....
  10. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Your right Pete, even the double "vee" belts slip when wet, thats why they invented the hydro.... simple... enough... Though, I have to laugh when I think back to a Landscaper that I used to know, he would carry 6 cans of belt dressing ( sorta like high tack) with him to get his machines to climb a hill :rolleyes: :D