Exmark Blades on my Gravely......WOW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, Jul 7, 2006.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, so i've experimented over the years with differentblade setups. The stock Gravely blades (notched hi-lift) have always left a very nice cut, however, due to all the turbulance under the deck didn't suck up the matted grass under the tires as much as I'd like. I've run doubles with gators on top which do well but it still didn't quite finish it off. So I started doing some reading and decided to try standard solid foil hi-lift blades. I didn't realize how difficult these are to find!! Almost all the mfg make notched but very few have solid foil hi-lifts. I decided to get a set of Exmarks from Mowmore (by the way, they are FANTASTIC to deal with. Ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived the next day!!)

So I went out last night and gave them a shot. WOW what a difference!!! I get great vacuume without all the turbulance under the deck. I'm side discharging and it did a really nice job of pulling up the grass in the treadmarks and cutting it even with the rest. I'm now anxious to stick these on with my Gators and see how they perform in a double setup. Just wanted to post my experience as many may benefit from switching to a solid foil if you are experiencing an uneven cut. The only item I'm not wild about is these are only available in .204 and I'd really like to stick with .240 but we'll see how they hold up!!!

Don

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I've been saying on here for years. Its not so much the brand of the blades (since there are no "Gravely" or "Exmark" blades) that you use, it is the difference btween solid foil and notched foil. Now, to easier find a solid foil blade in the future, just ask for standard lift blades. The vast majority of solid foil highlift blades out there are actually just standard foil blades. Now, if you REALLY want to try a nice blade, find a set of DC (Dixie Chopper) style blades - that are TRUE DC style. These blades have not only a solid foil, but they have a much longer bevel area that extends almost all the way to the center. This longer bevel doesn't cut the grass off more (all blades only cut with the tip) but the longer bevel DOES give it more area for recutting and mulching up, and also allows the blade to spin with much less resistance due to the aerodynamic factor of the longer bevel.

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweet!!! Thanks Joe for the recommendation, however, in checking on the Dixie blades the only comparable size is 17". I'm running a 48" deck and they don't have anything that I've found to fit the 16 1/4 range. Any ideas??

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

6 1/4"? Our Tank M48 uses 17" blades. Then again come to think of it it has more blade overlap than any other mower on the market. Do you know of any 17" high lift solid foil blades? I want to try out some of the oregon fusion blades but they dont have any that would fit directly on my mower.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just so you know, blades are measured from one corner to the other sides opposite corner. Think of a rectangle, you measure diagonally from one corner to the other got it?

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Or how you measure a TV*newusflag*

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Don
    What size deck do you have??*trucewhiteflag*

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a better way of putting it...