eXmark blades questions

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Vibe Ray, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Could you please list all of the eXmark blades that are available for the 44" deck? (Lazer Z HP, if that makes any difference), I would really, trully appreciate it!!! Please list all of them.

Do all eXmark blades come completely balanced, and what advantages do exmark blades have over other blades?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Blades,

Vibe Ray here is a list of blades and part numbers for your 44" Exmark. Exmark offers these different blades for all of our mowers, except 21” metro. These are blades that we have tested and know how they perform. I gave you general description of the blades and use. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the conditions (grasses, weather, and time of the year) change and it may effect how well the blade works.

PN 1-653101 Notched Air Foil
    These are factory blade and best for most applications
    Max. lift and discharge velocity
    PN 1-653178 Solid Air Foil
    Blades reduce flex when mowing
    Blades don't tend to bend as easily after impact
    Can help in reducing blow out
    Will reduce discharge velocity
    PN 103-1579 Solid Air Foil 2 (Bahia Blade)
    The blade is sharpened all the way to the bolt hole.
    Helpful in cutting Bahia shoot, Dandelions, Foxtail, etc.
    PN 1-653179 Low Lift
    Used a lot in sandy areas
    Helps reduce build-up on bottom of deck
    Reduces discharge velocity
    Reduces blow out
    Uses less hp to operate
    PN 1-653102 Mulching
    Works well with our mulch kit
    Uses maximum hp.

You asked if the blades are balanced from the factory. They are supposed to be but if it was me, I would check them anyway. The blades from the factory are pretty close; close enough not to cause any damage short term. If you throw a new set of blades on that may be out of balance some and go mow. You really don’t hurt anything as long as you don’t leave those blades all year. We would like you guys to sharpen and balance your blades as often as possible.

Good question Vide Ray I bet there are a lot of people that don’t know all the blades that Exmark offers.

Thanks, Fred

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question. Why exactly does the solid foil have less lift and blowout than the notched foil. thanx

4. eXmark

Vibe Ray,

Fred is out of the office today so I’ll jump in and try to explain the differences and similarities between these two blades. First they are both high lift, made from the same grade of steel to the same hardness specification. That is about where the similarities end. The Notched airfoil blade is put on our units’ standard from the factory because they simply discharges grass, especially wet grass farther than any blade we’ve tested. Because most new mowers are sold in the spring it makes sense to use the best wet condition blade as standard equipment. In dryer conditions this blade however appears to create a slight “swirl” as the air rolls off the blade tip causing some air to escape out from under the mower deck. Generally the area of “blow out” will be confined to the front right hand side of the mower deck. The way I like to explain it is that the notched blade pushes air through the mower deck allowing a little to escape from under the front lip.

The solid air foil blade on the other hand does not discharge wet grass as well as the notched blade, it does not generally exhibit much if any “blow out”, discharges grass at relatively the same velocity as the notched blade but at a lower angle. In dryer conditions it appears to pull the air through the deck rather than push it eliminating the little swirl we see in the form of “blow out”. Incidentally this is my favorite side discharge and bagging blade. Others at the factory prefer the notched blade but in my opinion once the grass dries out a little such as summer and fall cutting conditions, the solid blade has a little cleaner looking cut. I would suggest trying both the notched and solid airfoil blades on a couple of your properties and decide which one you like the best.

Thank you

Terry

5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

DO they have the blades that are sharpened to the bolt for a 52 laser?

6. eXmark

Cutter, yes we do. I will give you and our landscape friends a list of all the part numbers of this type of blade.

103-1577, 48" & 32"
    103-1578, 52" & 36"
    103-1579, 44"
    103-1580, 60"
    103-1581, 72"

Thanks, Fred.