1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Nov 30, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

should i buy oem,or is like landscaper supply blades just as good.they are 3 dollars a blade cheaper than my dealer.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You have to be careful even with a dealer when purchasing Exmark blades. I went to mine once to buy some Excalibur high-lifts. It was only later that I realized they had sold me knock-offs at a premium price. Excaliburs are sharpened all the way to the hole.
  3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

what are $3 extra per blade? two times eating at Wendy's?

be realistic. get the good stuff. dont be cheap when it comes to equipment.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, what he said....

And you may also find the exact same blade from elsewhere for less money.
    The blade MFG's are under the radar and there are only a few I think.

Personally though, I'm inclined to sweep what I know under the rug and give my dealer the his $9 :rolleyes:
  5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Who is making the blades Landscaper Supply is selling ?

There are some very decent blades made and sold as "aftermarket" blades. Gator by Oregon is one that comes to mind. But , there is also some real junk blades available, that seem cheap till you find they are so soft they can't hold an edge for ten minutes [Red Line brand]

All you can do is try a set of the "mystery blades" to see if they are as good as the OEM blades are.

Generally speaking, it is hard to beat the quality of the blades that any of the better manufacturers of mowers will allow to be sold under their name. Most often the aftermarkets are trying to get "nearly as good as original", but most of them aren't.

By the way, this same thing applies to the aftermarket or generic belts that are around. They are usually much lower priced - but they seldom hold up like the OEM belts do.

Does your dealer have any of these brand X blades, belts, air filters, oil filters, spindle assemblies, Chinese bearings, etc. available ? Some dealers will carry them also - in addition to their higher quality/higher priced OEM parts. You may find that the dealer has some cheap blades also- if you ask him.