Exmark caster seals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Feb 23, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but I do try to do some of the maintenance myself. I have had to replace the seal shown in the picture a couple of times, probably because the dealer put too much grease in and blew it out. I have an arrow drawn to the part in question. My friend says I need a seal driver to properly install this.

My question is what size seal driver mm/inch (if that is the correct name for the tool) do I need to drive the seal (new one) back in. Where do I get the seal drivers? Ebay? Online store? The seals are very inexpensive but I would rather repair small things like this than wait on service at the dealer which is several miles away. Also if you have any information on how tight to tighten the nut once I reassemble the front caster or any other useful info on this repair I would appreciate it. We made a seal driver last time and apparently we bent the seal a little bit because it is leaking some. Thanks for any help. And any advise as to where to purchase a driver for such repairs. As I said I have an arrow drawn at the seal in question on the picture below. Part #35.

Exmark seal.jpg

2. tacoma200

If I can get the proper diameter (size) for the Exmark that would be most important. I have found some kits but I have no ideal if they contain the proper size for the Exmark seal. For example the set below list such sizes as1.565", 1.750", 1.965", 2.325", 2.470", 2.555", 2.830", 2.995", and 3.180". I would hate to order one and not get the right size.:confused:

seal driver.jpg

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is what you need, I have used them for many, many years. When you get in a bind you can also take a deep socket and drive in a seal, very easily and straight. Straight and careful is the name of the game with seals. I use a socket more for putting in races for bearings because you go inside the housing. I have bent dust seals from not having the correct driver like you are going to buy in the kit.

You will have the correct size in the kit...

4. tacoma200

Your a great help as always Puppypaws!

I think I bent the last one by not having the correct driver as you suggested.

5. tacoma200

Found a set at Northern Tool $49
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200354177_200354177

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic