Exmark clogging up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nate1422, Oct 5, 2005.

1. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I just bought an '04 Exmark Metro 48" walk behind with 50 hrs. It was in real nice condition and runs great. Problem is, I just mowed with it, sharp blades/balanced and the thing clogged starting from the get-go when mowing about 5 inch grass to 3. It was clean underneath when I started and didn't blow anything out, it just collected everything. Anybody else have this problem or know what to do to remedy.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Clogged how? With grass?

Your not mulching are you?

Were you mowing early this morning when it was real wet?

Need some more details.

3. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

You sure your not using a Scag?

4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

belt tensioner possibly, or belt wear.

5. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 48" w/b with mulching kit on it and have never gotten clogged . How many spacers do you have between blade and spindle ? At least two should be there to get good lift. Belt worn out or tension not adjusted properly. Also, were are your caster spacers ? These decks like to be slightly tipped forward .

6. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I have 2 spacers between the spindle and no mulcher. I was mowing dry grass this afternoon but the grass itself had a decent internal moisture content. I was mowing 5 inches down to 3.5 The clumps could be squeezed and expell water. As soon as I throttled down to cut the deck it started to bog out and then when the deck was full disengaged it dropped a pile of clumped wet clippings and then I cleaned out just as much from the deck. I was at full throttle while mowing and nothing was blowing out from the start. I just got the thing and have maybe 2 hours mowing. When I bought it the dealer said they went over it and gave it a clean bill of health. The only thing I know I need to do is put some new blades on. The current ones are sharp but all knicked and dinged. If this is an uncommon problem I will take it back and have the dealer find the issue. I payed $2200 used with 50 hours and still have warranty left so I thought it was a good deal. The dealer said the guy traded in for a new one with the ECS controls and the mower itself was fine, just uncomfortable for the guy. Other than this, it runs great.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What did you use for a mower prior to this pruchase. (what your comparing it to?)

8. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I just moved into a new house and got the walk behind because of price and quality and also to pick up some side jobs. Why get a rider that is cheap when for the same price I could get this figuring the cut would be better. I have no experience with the walk behinds but wanted something commercial duty that would last for years. Only thing I can compare to is my fathers JD X475, never had that thing clogged in thicker, longer, wetter grass.

To answer some other questions, I am in the bottom setting in the rear of the machine (like I said, no experience with walkbehinds) and have 2 spacers between the casters. If it is the belt, should it be looser or tighter??

Thanks for all the suggestions.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not that well versed with the Metro's.

But if you have it in the lowest REAR position, that wouldn't be ideal for 3" cut height.

Ideally you want the front of the blades about 1/4" lower than the rear when lined up like this | | |

Also, get a set of NEW OEM eXmark High lift blades and install them.

With a level deck and NEW blades you should be fine.

Where are you finding WET grass around here? We need rain SOOOO bad. The grass is krispy here.

Belts should deflect with light finger pressure.

My bet is the blades and the deck pitch.

10. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Are you sure the blades are on properly ? Its hard to imagine no discharge from an open chute . My deck with mulching baffles still sends debris all over the place . Disengage blade belt , with engine off, and spin each blade . Do any bind or do they spin free ? Are the blade bolts tight ? Be sure when belt is engaged it is tight . There is a procedure to be sure . Engage belt , WITH THE ENGINE OFF , in the middle of the belt , between pulleys you should be able to pull 10lbs and deflect belt 1/2 inch . I use a fishing scale for the 10lbs of pull ..