Exmark clumping problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by paxdog, Mar 28, 2003.

1. paxdog

paxdog LawnSite Member

I'm having bad clumping problems using my 60" zero turn exmark. Even cutting 3-4" of dry grass with sharp blades. I use high lift blades and I'm cutting at a height between 3.25-3.5". Tires are properly inflated and the blade tip speed seems to be fine. I've been told that doubles will help with this, but I've been told it will cause extra wear and tear to the spindles. What else can I do to help with this situation?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Paxdog,

There are several things that can cause a deck to clump. First I'd check the simple things such as belt tension by inspecting the spring-loaded idlers on the belts to make sure they are functioning. This is probably a good thing to do annually whether it needs it or not. Also check the engine RPM as well as dong a compression check and just making sure the engine is building good power. Most likely you've got negative rake in the mower deck.

Negative rake is when the rear of the deck is cutting lower than the front. If the grass is even slightly wet this can cause a clumping rather quickly. Double blades would only compound the problem of clumping and they do increase the load on all-rotating assemblies as well as belts, engines etc.

This early in the year I'd recommend you take it into your dealer ASAP and have him go over the machine from top to bottom and make sure it's in good shape before the spring growth kicks into full swing.

Thanks

Terry