1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Clutch won't engage, no noise?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turfman999, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Turfman999

Turfman999 LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark Phazer with a 19hp Kaw that has 1600 hrs. Today the clutch dis-engaged during normal mowing. I was able to stop, check the connections and then it re-engaged and I was able to finish. The next stop it engaged fine and after one pass around the lawn, it dis-engaged and would not work again. This clutch has been used with kid gloves and never engaged at very high or very low speeds. When you turn the key on and pull the knob, you get no sound or click noise at all anymore like it used to do.

My question is: Is this what happens when they normally go bad or does this sound more like a broken wire or connector? I have never had any issues or symptoms until now.

Thank You for any Advise
  2. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

1600 hours is pretty good for a clutch. Like Memphis said it could be the switch. Some clutches can be "rebuilt." Not sure about yours.
  4. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

Troubleshooting your issue would be best accomplished with a phone call. Please call us at 1-800-667-5296.
    Exmark Customer Service
  5. Turfman999

Turfman999 LawnSite Member

PTO switch tested good. Tech Services advised that it is likely the clutch. Ordered new one from the dealer. Now I have the nightmare of getting the old one off. Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Thank You