Lawn Care Forum banner

Exmark Commercial 30 | Toro Turfmaster

14K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  71GTX 
#1 ·
This is a 11 minute video I found on Youtube that's worth watching.

#2 · (Edited)
I have a turfmaster and not have experienced his problems. I think he was eating blade belts as he mentioned cutting when the deck packed smokes the belt...... I never let a deck get packed to that point. They are easy to flip and clean. In one season I have not even had to adjust the blade belt. Wet grass mulching is much improved with a simple deck mod and using the low lift blades that came on the original timemaster.

Interesting that now that he has his Walker the 30's are "almost obsolete" .

#3 ·
The Toro/Exmark is a part time mower. I have a 2006 Honda HRC 216 K2 that I bought brand new and for 10 years of commercial use it looks newer than my 3 year old Turfmaster. The Honda still has the original tires that still have a good amount of tread on them, where my Toro's plastic tires are smooth as a baby's but. The Toro's bag was split apart at the seams and the grab strap on the back broke within two years. I just put a new bag on my honda yesterday and the old honda bag still looked better than the 3 year old Toro's. The Honda deck doesn't have any rust on it and the original decals and stickers are still attached, but the Toros's paint is flaking off and surface rust is really starting to take hold, while all of the stickers are well on their way to peeling off. Probably the only truly tough part on the mower is the FJ180 engine. The Honda's hydrostatic transmission is 10 times better than Toro's belt driven transmission. That Honda mower will absolutely drag you up a hill when it's engaged.

#6 ·
And it Should Last Forever. Hydros and Engine used are also Used in Much Larger Units. Very Little Strain on a 32".

Got over 15 years and over 2k hrs on my 32" Viking and Still Going Strong. All Original.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

#7 · (Edited)
And it Should Last Forever. Hydros and Engine used are also Used in Much Larger Units. Very Little Strain on a 32".

Got over 15 years and over 2k hrs on my 32" Viking and Still Going Strong. All Original.

View attachment 336318
Those scalp where the 30 won't on irregular turf , what's the wheelbase on the trim side? Look at the trim side front wheel it's like 8" in front of the discharge side. Finished cut quality-NOT. There is really no use for that mower here, a Walker 42 or a true floating 42" walk covers the same areas that mower covers. That thing is $4000 more than a turfmaster. Not everybody has puny gate issues. Customers with small lots who aren't bargain hunter typically dislike mid walks.

#8 ·
No Scalping Issues if you Know what you're doing.

Front end is light. Very easy to pop the deck to whatever level you want when you hit irregular surfaces If cutting low.

May be an issue for an ineXperienced Operator.

#10 ·
No Scalping Issues if you Know what you're doing.

Front end is light. Very easy to pop the deck to whatever level you want when you hit irregular surfaces If cutting low.

May be an issue for an ineXperienced Operator.
Wherever there is a high spot , there's also a low spot, you just missed it. So now you must trim it out, that saved you a bunch of time......like I said , cut rate mow jobs and quality have different benchmarks. What's the trim side wheel base? You keep avoiding questions.

#9 ·
Not sure this post is going in the right area. I currently have a Walker GHS 20 HP with at 52" deck. It is a great mower for small to mid size lawns. But I have taken on a 6 acre and a 13 acre accounts and it is just me mowing. The walker seems to be really slow, the properties are next to each other and has a little slope to it. But a ton of leaves, I need speed the catcher fills up after 3 passes. Should I move up to a faster z turn mower if so money is tight so have to buy used what would you guys recommend. Thanks for the help.

#19 ·
I run 21/48 stand on combo for postage stamp lawns, works great. If a space is too small for the 48, then a 30 will not be much faster, if any faster.

#25 ·
Yea, not a Fan of the Toro Commercial 21"'s since they Discontinued the 22156...too heavy. If you don't know how to make the 20381's work for you, Grab Two HRX Select drives for the price of a 30"

At 190cc w/some Skill you will be able to Mulch what you're Wasting Time Bagging w/the 30".

#26 ·
It's Heavy but going to give a Gen 2-21" Ybravo a shot this Season....has a Plastic Deck insert that claims to Eliminate Under Deck Grass Build Up. Possibly helpful for Wet Spring Mulching.

Have the Gen 1 and it's Heavy and Average as long as you remove the Bolted on Deck Lip used for creating Vacuum when Bagging

#29 ·
Aint the Blade its the Horses will Kill you in the Spring on that Unit.

Guys here running 30's either filling bags every 3 minutes or Side Blowing a Hella Mess Everywhere....while we just Sail through w/the 22156's or Big Walks.

#31 ·
Interesting Theory. I run the "Tidal Wave" blades on my 22156's which are Probably the Best Mulching Blades made for any mower Ever and even they will have problems running on 21"/ 190cc in Real Thick Stuff

Thick Wet Grass has a way of needing Horses regardless of What's Spinning if you want to Mulch Everything

#32 ·
I'm

Tidal Wave blade, link part number. Regardless of blade, the grass has to have a easy exit that distributes evenly and deal with with negative and positive pressure changes under the deck as it packs. If the air moves in and out easily under those conditions it takes less hp to mulch ......and still cut nice , not leaving stragglers.

#33 ·
These...Dip is so Pronounced hard to get a Smooth Edge even on the Wavy Blade Attacment on my Mag 8000.

Transforms the Gen 2 eXmark 21"s from terrible Mulching 21" to decent and on a 22156 they can Mulch even the Wetest Thickest Spring stuff w/proper pitch and occasional second pass. The 190cc still necessary though to keep em spinning in the Worst stuff.

View attachment 336390

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades

Reactions: dishboy
#34 ·
These...Dip is so Pronounced hard to get a Smooth Edge even on the Wavy Blade Attacment on my Mag 8000.

Transforms the Gen 2 eXmark 21"s from terrible Mulching 21" to decent and on a 22156 they can Mulch even the Wetest Thickest Spring stuff w/proper pitch and occasional second pass. The 190cc still necessary though to keep em spinning in the Worst stuff.

View attachment 336390

View attachment 336391
Dip is similar to the Walker 36-42A mulch blades. Do you have a part number . The attachment 336391 is a bad link.

#38 ·
Numbers Worn off all the blades.

neXt time at dealers getting more. Can check. Not even sure if they Toro or eXmark branded. Fit all Gen 2 Toro/eXmark and 22156 and the SR's. Don't fit Toro Classic Prolines...will slip. Haven't bothered w/a fiX for that yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.