1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark compared to Scag....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Though being a long time Scag user, was a little PO'd at the local dealer so I went shopping and ended up buying a 36" Exmark Tracer with the floating deck and ECS.. Oh my, such a better machine than the the Scag hydro's I have ran, its not even fair.... JMO
  2. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Is that Tracer 36" a hydro unit? If so, do you mind me asking your purchase price... getting ready to order one myself... Glad to hear you like it :)

3. Jon99

Yeah, its a hydro....This was a unit they had been using this year as a demo, he guessed it had about 20 hours on it, got it for $3600...He had a new one and he wanted $4200 for that one..
  4. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks Jon, I think you got a pretty good deal.... Quotes on new ones across the country seem to range from 4,200 to 4,800.... so a few hours and 3,600 sounds very good....

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you like better about the Tracer???? Are you pulling a sulky? I plan on having a Proslide...

Thanks, Clay
  5. Jon99

Honestly, I can't think of one thing I prefer on the Scag other than possibly the deck engagement, I find the lever on the Exmark to be a little awkward compared to the flip switch on the Scag... The Exmark has a nicer cut, ECS is great and much easier in the hands, love the foating deck and I think its easier to handle..

I just use this mower for small yards and a few ditches, so I don't use a velky...
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

was the scag you used previously a floating deck mower with an advantage deck or was it an older model? I do like the ecs controls for hand placement although it doesn't seem any easier on the hands than pistol grips.
  7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

FWIW, 52" SCAG Ultimate(floating deck) walkbehind w/ 21 HP Kawi are going for 4500+tax around here. so, 4200 for a new 36" seems a bit high. i do understand that the ECS is a more expensive option, but it seems a bit high still.

im glad you like your purchase and hope it works out well for you.
  8. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Scags are, if properly serviced, more durable than Exmark, at least with the 36 hydros.

I had two 36 scags with well over 5000 hours on each of them. One finally blew a main seal, I parted it out. The other still works good enough.

Not to say that Exmark is bad, but Scag is still built with better spindles and sheet metal.

Price is definately THE consideration, Scags have gone to the point to where they are $1000+ more than a "comparable" Exmark.

I have new Scags working side by side with new Exmarks, so I'll find out for sure what the differences are. I'll let you know in 5 years.