1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark CT attachments?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HankAndSuzi, Mar 21, 2004.

1. HankAndSuzi

HankAndSuzi LawnSite Member
    from 7

I know ZTRs are not designed to tow or haul much. That said, can anyone give a definitive answer about what I can attach? For instance, if I want to pull a small cart, how big or heavy can it be? (Is this posted or written somewhere?)
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hank and Suzi,

We don't recommend towing with the Lazer CT. If you plan on towing attachments I'd recommend stepping up to the Lazer HP or full size Lazer Z.

These units are rated for 80 lbs. draw weight. Draw weight is the amount of force it takes to pull the attachment across the ground and should not be confused with tongue weight or trailer weight.

3. Roman27

Roman27 LawnSite Member

Excuse me for digging up an old thread. ;-) I am interested in purchasing a Lazer CT with the 48" deck and the 19hp Kawasaki engine for my home use. So, I'm doing a bit of research.

I would like to be able to pull a spreader for fertilizer or seed and perhaps a rented plug-type aerator. Each would probably be about 200 lbs. But they are wheeled items. Do you think those would be considered items over the 80 lbs. draw weight? Is the limit due to the hydro pumps or motors or due to the engine? If it's the engine, I could reduce the load by not engaging the mower deck while pulling these attachments.

I realize the Lazer HP would be a better choice, but I think it will be over my spending limit, unfortunately.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The real concern will be the wheel motors. A zero turn mower is a great lawnmower. They are fast efficient and cut a great deal of grass rather quickly. They unfortunately don't always make the best tow vehicles.

I wouldn't recommend using the CT for any towing applications.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

in addition to the wheel motors being a lower rating, the hydro's aren't as strong either (correct?) and the drive tires are a LOT smaller than the HP.
  6. HankAndSuzi

HankAndSuzi LawnSite Member
    from 7

I posted the original thread. I am very happy with my CT, but have not towed anything at all. The dealer, manufacturer, and everyone else recommend against it.

I think I'll buy a cheapie second-hand garden tractor for towing in the Spring.
  7. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

I tow a my 60' aerator w/ my 27 liquid no problem. ( yet...knock, knock)