1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Ct Or Dixon Kodiak?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2mow, Jun 17, 2006.

1. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

Finally ready to purchase a new mower for two acres. I have to consider dealer support and dealer location as a primary factor. Have a very good dealer who sells Exmark and Dixon. For my budget and needs it is between Exmark ct with 21/52 for 5600.00 or Dixon Kodiak with 20 Kohler/50 inch deck.
    Have mowed with Dixon and cut is ok. Not great but good. Exmark seemed to ride a little better but no experience with trivantage deck. The trivantage deck has been around awhile so your professional opinions between the two mowers will be a big deciding factor. thanks!
  2. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Have you cut with the Exmark? I see where you said the Dixon was "not great, but good". What does your dealer recommend? The price you have posted on the CT is very good.
  3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Me personally it would be neither of these, however I guess I would have to go with the Exmark because why would you want to buy a mower from a company that makes rolls of film for cameras! LOL........LOL
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

great machines with a very good cut. We've demoed both a Kohler powered and a Vanguard powered machine. The Vanguard is my hands down favorite. It used less fuel, is smoother and more powerful by a noticeable amount. An odd thing that both my dealer and I noticed was that the Vanguard powered machine had much smoother hydro response than the Kohler powered model. No idea why since they were identical Kodiaks. Contact Jason Rose for an opinion on Dixons by a man who has hundreds of hours running these machines. He's occasionally on the forum and is very good to answer inquiries.:) My opinion is worth just what you payed for it:laugh:
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I will answer your PM here...

I don't do much cutting without the catcher, but I DO have a couple I try to not bag as much as possible as they are large, thick, and well irrigated. I'm having pretty good results discharging them, other than the MESS discharging leaves on the drives and what-not. I always cut these 2 first thing on wednesday mornings and they are usually very wet from the dew. I get very little clumping if any. I always go back and run over the places where the grass is just too tall and thick with the catcher on when I'm done. Suprisingly it's not required much.

As I have said before, and I think this is true for any mower, it's all in how the deck is leveled and pitched. if it's too level or too far down front or back the cut will be horrible. Iv'e been known to stop in the middle of a lawn and pull out a socket and put a couple turns one way or another on the front deck adjusters! Amazing what even less than an eighth of an inch can do for the quality of cut!

Scott: I wouldn't use a B&S unless you gave it to me.... I have seen way too many of those 20 hp vancraps at my dealer on used machines that had only 3 to 4 HUNDRED hours that were leaking oil and/or smoking. I tried one that had about 700 hours on it once and that engine was so weak it was sad. I would opt for the Kohler or the kawasaki definately. As for the hydraulics working smoother with the vanguard, well that I can't understand. Iv'e never been on one of the new models with the vanguard, actually I didn't know it was even an option on the Kodiak... Could the RPM's have been adjusted wrong (too low) on the Kohler model you tried? That would make the hydro pumps whine more and been an obvious lack of power feeling...

To keep going here... I have owned an exmark with a Trivantage deck... BAD! I could mow circles around it when the grass was wet with my dixon and have nary a problem with grass packing under the deck. The exmark would pack so full of grass, even discharging, that it would stop the blades or even stall the engine! I was so frustrated and dissapointed with that machine after reading all the hype on here for over a year about how perfect they were... The exmark also was very poor at mowing dry grass or thin grass, it would leave about half un cut. Yes I tried several types of blades to cure the clogging and the cut...
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Can I get a big WTF are you talking about here??? :dizzy:

Dixon is owned by Blount International, their plant is in Coffeyville, Kansas. No where have I ever seen camera film confused for a big blue mower, LOL :drinkup:

*edit* ahhh, i see now... KODIAK... KODAK. hahahaha
  7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure sorry to hear the Vanguards are doing so poorly as I was impressed with how much better it seemed than the Kohler. As far as I know the Kohler was set up as specified to be field ready. My Dixon dealer is hardcore Kohler
    so I would think he would have done it right. Maybe it happened to be an unusual Kohler or just not tweaked properly. The hydros seemed equally powerful on on both machines but the Vanguard was just so much smoother and easy to operate precisely, even when cold, than the Kohler powered model. Weird I know but the dealer remarked on it too and he had no explanation. We have one lawn where the customer refuses to set his water properly to the point that the drive tires on the Kodiaks were shooting a spray of water like a roostertail and the cut was still good. The top of the deck was awash with water:laugh: Thanks very much for your experienced comments on these machines. I have just a few hours running a couple of Kodiaks so my knowledge is limited.
  8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I have more experience with the Exmark. I did some demoing on the Dixon units when they were interested in setting up dealers in our area. To be honest, I felt it was far from the quality of the Exmark product. The CT models are really nice units. They finally offer an ultra vac for it as well. For commercial cutting, I would drather see you invest the in the Lazer Z HP. GREAT UNIT!!!

Heavier pumps and wheel motors and larger fuel capacity, along with some key bells and whistles.
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's funny. I almost had a laugh.
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I would go with exmark. Have not had personal experience with either but talking with people who have with both and they are more impressed with exmark over dixon. I run all Walkers as I want out front deck mowers.