1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark CT or FasTrak for home use

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by grass lover, May 22, 2003.

1. grass lover

grass lover LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner with 1 acre to mow living in middle Tennessee. Yard has a good slope in the back and some steep inclines around several beds. No major obstacles other than a swing set and my planting beds are laid out for ease of mowing. Overall slop is 4-6 degrees with short steeper sections up to 30 degrees. Grass is mostly fescue with some rye and clover.
    Currently have a Dixon 4423 cone drive 15hp B&S.... sucks! Replacing the transmission to sell because it will not take the slope of my yard. Local dealer support is terrible also. Service tech actually told me how terrible Dixon’s were. Got to like his honesty.
    I have a great Hustler/Exmark dealer down the road and trying to decide between the CT and FasTrak. What engine/deck options would you suggest? FasTrak has more combinations and thought I liked the idea of Honda engines. However, I have read some negative postings on this site about the bigger Honda’s.
    Need something that will mow a slope with ease and give me a good quality cut. Would it be too much to ask the dealer if I could demo each model on my yard to help me choose? Feel awkward asking since I'm just a homeowner, BUT this is a big investment for ME.
    You advice and comments are welcomed....

Posted in homeowners as well, but getting no traffic.
  2. grass lover

Talked my local dealer into a head to head demo early next week. Will post results once I'm done.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Grass Lover,
    The Hustler FasTrak is a machine that was made with your exact need in mind, a commercial type unit made for home use, it is by far the best selling high end home owner ZTR on the market.
    The larger Honda engines we use on our FasTraks are proven winners, and we have had little or no bad experiences with them at all !!!
    I have yet to see anyone on this site give me information on the exact model Honda engine and what the major problems they were having.
    The Honda is a very smooth running v-twin engine, that comes with a full 2 year warranty, the Kohler you are looking at on the Exmark is a single cylinder.
    The FasTrak has a foot operated deck lift standard, I believe it to be a option on the Exmark.
    The FasTrak has tow hitch standard.
    The FasTrak holds more fuel, and has a integrated parking brake.
    The FasTrak has proven itself for the last 1 1/2 seasons, Exmark made a limited run of the CT's, to see how they would be accepted.
    The hydros on the FasTrak are a integrated system, the pump and wheel motor are integrated into 1 unit per side, this system was designed for this application and works great, heck another mfg uses it commercially with no problems.
    The Hydro Gear IZT's are actually less expensive to replace, unlike what our competition says, but saying this, you don’t need to worry about replacing them, they will work excellent for your application.
    As you will see when you demo it, the Hustler FasTrak is a awesome machine.
    Let us know what you think.
    If you have any questions you can ask them here or e-mail me directly at hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Thank you for you interest
  4. grass lover

Demo'd the FasTrak 20/52 this afternoon. The ride was good and steering was excellent. Struggled with the Exmark CT to make smooth turns, but the FasTrak was able to figure 8's in my back yard out of the gate. You were right about the smoothness and power of the twin Honda. My dealer couldn't give me any examples of problems with the big Honda’s either. Guess the posts were erroneous.
    Also drove the B&S 17.5 in the dealer lot. I realize this engine combo helps hit a price point, but after stepping off of the 20/52..... very disappointing. However, after seeing the $750 price difference I wished I hadn’t tested the 20/52 so I wouldn’t have known how good it was.
    I was concerned with a statement my salesman made about the factory advising not to run the FasTrak for more than 2 hours at a time without a cooling period for the hydros??? He said this was a factory warning.... What gives?

BTW - got the Exmark stuck in soggy ground at the base of one of my slopes. It just sat and spun no matter what I tried and used the FasTrak to pull it out. Ventured into the same area to finish cutting on the Hustler and was able to pivot around and shoot right back up the hill.
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have never heard any statement about letting the unit cool down.
    There is nothing that I know of in writing stating this either.
    I wil check into it though