ExMark, Cub Commercial or John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by breck75, Nov 7, 2004.

1. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

I am just starting in the bussiness. I will start with snow plowing this winter and then this spring I will be purchasing my mowing equipment. I have looked at ExMark, Cub Cadet Commercial and John Deere. I was just wondering which one is the better of the three. All three dealers have service centers available. Any input? ;)
    Thanks Kevin

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Are they three different dealers?

The two that I like out of your list is Cub Commercial and JD. Cub tanks are built heavy and are really good mowers. Most people bash them because they are built by MTD but don't let that stop you. When MTD says commercial thats what they mean. I think their just as good as an Exmark, JD Scag or anything else. JD also makes some really good mowers. They have 7 guage stamped decks and have a good cut quality. They are definately worth looking at. Exmark is also good mowers but I am not a fan. In my opinion they are overpriced and their no better than a lot of other mowers.

Dealer support is also very important. If they don't have a good service department they could leave you without a mower for a while and may or may not give you a mower to use while yours is in the shop.

3. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

They are all 3 different dealers. The Cub Commercial and Exmark are pretty much the same price, the John Deer is the one that is very expensive. The dealer for the Cub Cadet has a person to service them, which leaves me to believe there would be no loner in case it breaks down. The Exmark dealer said that if my mower breaks down, bring it in for service and they will give me a mower to use so I don't loose bussiness. I'm not sure on the JD dealer.
    I just want to make the right purchase the first time. As far as Cub Cadet being part of MTD, I have used MDT for personal use and you are right they are built very well. My dad has had the same MDT lawn tractor for 15 yrs with no problem, well I think he rebuilt the engine once. The tank series, well its all in the name. They are built like a tank. Thanks Kevin

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

New guy here. I like to think I have done my homework on mowers(I HOPE) and i bought a Cub Tank 54 and I love it. I got a good price on it with 30 hours on it. It was a dealers demo. Got it for $6500. No problems yet, but I am a part time LCO. The only thing that I have been looking for is that there are not many after market parts for them. Maybe Im not looking at the right places!!!

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark does not have a stamped deck. Most JD (if not all) do. you pay way too much just for the name.

Exmark!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. lawndude2004

lawndude2004 LawnSite Member

there is no camparison between exmark products and the other two you have listed. I am not a die hard exmark fan, I have had others as well. Sure the exmark is more money, but when you and employees especially, use something every day for 8-9 hours it better be built very well, handle abuse, cut efficiently, and be easy to maintenance. This biz is all about efficiency- the more lawns you can get to and leave looking better than the next guys, the faster your clientel will grow- along with your profits$$$$. I have used or have demoed just about everything and there is no comparison. exmarks and scags discharge far better than others. Also look at wheel base this is important if you are in an area with hills. we rarely even take a walk-behind and i live in the foothills of the smokies. take this advice the way you want this is my two cents

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Kevin, I think you should really look at cub the harderst because they are built gheavy like I said earlier and MTD makes very good equipment and the prices aren't out of this world.

8. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I own an Exmark Lazer Hp and a John Deere F-1145 and both are great machines in their own right. :cool:

I believe most companies building commercial units these days build a very good product as they will get left behind, otherwise.

Any of the 3 you listed would be fine. I would recommend going with the most versatile if you are just starting out.

Also down time will hurt you. I would go with the dealer who has a good service reputation (ask around) and one that provides a loaner. My Exmark and JD Dealer will do this. Most shops will, if you purchase from them.

Good Luck!

:waving:

9. lawndude2004

lawndude2004 LawnSite Member

a geo and a viper will get you to the same destination, but which will get you there quicker: exmark--you get what you pay for

10. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your input. I will start shopping around in the late winter. I will be sure to take all of the advice into consideration. I have a lot of information on all of them, so I guess I will do some homework this winter in between snow storms. Thanks Kevin