Exmark Cut Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Apr 16, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I just got my exmark back from the shop, and noticed that it leaves stringers in thick to somewhat thick grass. I didn't notice this with the loaner mower. My blade belt was a little loose, and I tightned it. It seemed to help a little, but the quality just isn't the same as the loaner, and I can't go over everything twice.

Any suggestions?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Take it back! Let the dealer know your problem with it. :blob3:

3. shorty7616

"Take it back! Let the dealer know your problem with it."

Taking it to the dealer, now thats a different story- we had a falling out, and its not a new mower...

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Try running doubles or

Install new set of blades or

Move existing blades to different spindle. Do something different and see if anything changes. I don't know how it could be anything major.

5. shorty7616

I have freshly sharpened blades on there now....I guess I'll try the double blades....is there any "side effects" of using doubles?

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You probably already checked this, but make sure its clean under the deck. Grass build-up can affect cut quality.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Did they actually fix the mower finally?

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes the problem is with a rounded blade. If they went over the outside edge with the grinder, they actually make the blade shorter than it should be. One way to check your blades is to have a brand new one that never gets used. You can overlay it and check the actual length AND the angle of the cut.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, so what was it in the shop for to begin with?
    Could there be any relationship?

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm so used to cutting everything twice down here that a little stringer doesn't even bother me. I wish sometimes we had pretty grass like the yankees do............but then again when I do get into some winter rye and get all that caked up mess under the deck I say............I love it down here.

I have bought new blades before that the bolt hole was off center. If this happens then it could cause what's happening but it might also cause a vibration if it were off far enough.