Exmark cut quality?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jerry and Sons, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have an '03 lazer 60inch 23 hp Kohler. Mower has been great until recently the cutting quality went down while traveling at fast speeds. I did change the blades, but doesn't seem to help. Could this be a belt issue? The mower has approximately 500 hours on it.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions and help.:dizzy:

2. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

the first thing you should check is to make sure the deck is clear of major grass build up, as that will affect your airflow and quality of cut very easily. next make sure your belts are good just to rule them out, but i rarley see this being a problem and make sure they are in the right spot on the deck drive jackshaft. deck belt on top pulley and mule belt (from motor) on bottom pulley other wise your blade tip speeds will be all messed up. then its a matter of leveling and adjusting the deck on a flat surface. it should be level from side to side and have a slight front pitch meaning the blade tip at the back of the deck should be 1/4"-3/8" higher on a 60". this ensures proper airflow and no "blowdown" or "blowout" of grass while cutting. you should check each blade to eliminate a bent deck or bad spindle/shaft in just one area of the deck.

Good Luck

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Also make sure you rpm's are set at 3750 no load.

Cut quality starts degrading at just 3500 rpm.

Make sure your spring loaded belt idlers are free. Both the mule drive and your deck belt. I've seen many a deck idler froze up to where it doesn't move at all.

Also make sure you use NEW Excalibur notched foil high lift blades.

4. Jerry and Sons

from Pa

After pulling everything apart I did find a bent idler pulley in the rear of the deck. I replaced the pulley and both belts (Deck and Mule), new blades. Mower is still missing a strands of grass here and there. Any other ideas?:dizzy:

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

New eXmark brand blades....right?

Are they sharp?

Did you check your RPM's?

As Viper said, is your deck pitched correctly?

Make sure your tires are inflated properly, not overinflated. If they're too stiff, you bounce too much and it really affects your QOC.

6. Jerry and Sons

from Pa

I have checked all tha you have mentioned except the RPMs. What is the best was to check?
    Thanks

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a tach (SenDec, TinyTach, etc) from your dealer. One wire coiled around the spark plug wire is all it takes. They're under $40. EVERY mower should have a tach IMHO.