Exmark cut quality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have an '03 lazer that just can't seem to cut fine fescue and onion grass. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this problem and if so what solutions have worked for you.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Onion can be tough but my Lazer always does well. clean deck and Exmark high lift blades only...... I'm sure at 4" it would be a challenge for any mower but at 3.5" you shouldn't have a problem with some sharp high lifts blades, and a clean deck. The higher you cut the fine grass the less lift you will have.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have little other beef with the older eXmarks other than some of the "less than prime" greenery seem to escape it.

It's inherient I believe, and something I doubt you can fully overcome.

I believe what it is... is that it sucks some things up great and cuts them off beautifully, and other things it blows over/down and completely misses cutting equally well.

A lot of air escapes out the bottom and out the front of the eXmark decks. I think some things get blown over by that air coming out the front before the blades get there, the vacuum passes by before it can pop back up, and the air escaping down holds it down until you pass over the area completely.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've yet to see anything cut onion grass well with just one pass...unless you stop right on top of it.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I think all mowers do this to some degree.

6. cuttin-up

cuttin-up LawnSite Member

My Toro turboforce has that problem sometimes especially if the blades are not sharp, my dealer suggests high lift blades to help with the problem.

7. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

What do you think about using gator blades. I am thinking about trying it tommorow! anything that might help.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Anything is worth a try, but...

That's only going to cause less lift and more air disturbance in my opinion.

Either way, let me know if I'm right or wrong about that if you try them.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, what the heck is onion grass, is he talking about wild onions like I kill in wheat with Harmony Extra. If this is what he is talking about the fusion blades on the Super Z at 2 1/2" will cut the fool out of them but the biggest difference is the lower cut.

10. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

QFT. Onion grass is the bane of lawn mowing lol. 21", my tractor, my 36" metro, nothing cuts this clean on the first pass unless i crawl over it.