1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Cutting Heights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b727guru, May 27, 2005.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Mowing this season for residential customers and noticed that my 36" WB Metro doesn't cut as low as say, a 21" mower.

By this I mean, I can scalp at the beginning of the season the Bermuda with my 21" but not with the Exmark. I know how to adjust heights. I have all 4 spacers between the blade and spindles. Also have the casters as low as possible without increasing the "rake" of the blades too much.

From the factory, my Exmark came with the rear axle adjusted to a certain height, ( I think hole D) for those familiar with the Metro. It is a major pain in the rear to adjust the height by the rear axle.

Do I leave it at the factory setting or take it to the service center and adjust this?
    Do any of you W/B owners adjust the rear axle height frequently? Leave at the factory setting or adjust one time and leave it alone?

2. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Hole "D" is the next to highest setting I believe...
    You should go down 1 or 2 settings to "C" or "B", but if you do it will limit the maximum HEIGHT you may go, which could create problems if you have any fescue lawns.
    Changing the setting is easier after you have done it once, maybe 10-12 minutes. I agree it is not something you want to have to do on a regular or weekly basis, more of a seasonal thing.
    The Metro does not have the widest range of mowing heights with the fixed rear setting!