Exmark cutting problem - help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poneal, Sep 19, 2007.

1. poneal

poneal LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Lazer Z HP with a 48" inch deck (three blades) and have had nothing but an excellent experience up until recently. Starting a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the machine was not cutting as good as it had in the past. It is to the point now where it is leaving a small strip between the blades and a pretty uneven cut elsewhere.

I have done the following but have yet to correct the problem: removed the striping roller, replaced the blades, made sure the deck is level and checked to see if any of the housings are loose.

Any suggestions?

2. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Try checking tire pressure and make sure both the fronts are where you want 'em and the rears are where you want 'em. If one or two tires are off by a few lbs this can cause variances in cut when your traveling across the turf bouncing over bumps and what not.

3. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have encountered a similiar problem before and that was the problem. Amazing what a few lbs of air pressure can do.

4. poneal

poneal LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention I checked the air pressure and it was fine.

5. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

How are your belts?

6. poneal

poneal LawnSite Member

They look ok but that will probably be my next step.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How's the blade belt tensioning spring? Could be causing the belt to slip a little, reducing the blade speed. I'd look at the spring that puts tension on the clutch belt too.

I'd even take the belts off and see if the bushings are worn on the idler pulley's pivot points. I replaced 2 on an older lazer and noticed a difference in cut. Good luck. keep us posted.

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

You may check the blades make sure the bolts are tight enough so their not slipping, check belts running the deck, they may be old enough where they are slipping just enough to not allow the blades to spin fast enough. Yes, they can slip and not squeal. Make sure no oil got on the deck too. Make sure the deck pullys are not too wore to allow belt to sit too deep in pullys so it will slip. If you can't do it yourself, have somebody check engine rpm's make sure it is full speed. Really pay attention to your cluch as you engage the blades make sure it isn't slipping a little. Check your deck belt tensioning spring. It may be sprung enough to allow belt slippage in thick grass. For the deck not cutting even, put your mower on level concrete and measure blades and see which side is off then check all areas the deck is connected to mower for wear points or maybe something is broke as maybe a weak point from the factory, no fault of your own. Also, loosen deck belt and check for spindles that may be wore out but not making noise yet. Will post more later if I think of it.

9. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Opps, was writing this the same time others were posting so repeated a lot of their info!!

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Could possibly be a bad tire...I had a problem once where one side always cut higher than the other. Turned out the right tire had a bulge or was misshapen enough that it was affecting the cut height. Funny, I did measure the circumference of both tires and they were identical. I must not have measured over the bulge area.

If you have weird, uneven treadwear on one tire, this could be your problem.