Exmark Cutting weird

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Jul 8, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I posted on here last weekend about my spindle going out, anyway got it fixed- sounds alot better. So I started cutting today, and the cut is aggravating me.

It seems to be cutting a fraction of an inch lower on the left side than the right side (this was the side with the bad spindle). It was doing this before I got the spindle replaced also. The deck is perfectly level, and tire psi is ok.

What gives? It also seems like one blade stripes in one directions while the other goes the opposite way.

AM I LOSING MY MIND?

Thanks

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for starters, you should have gotten a Bob-Cat. Check to be sure the sptndles are all the same and check the blades. If that isn't it take it to the dealer.

3. shorty7616

check the blades for what? They were just sharpened... I'll check the balance.

BTW.....4yrs of use, 1500+ hrs, 1 belt, and 1 spindle later I think the EXMARK has been a good choice for me.

I was just asking about an issue WITH my mower, not opinions ON my mower.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Could one of the blades be bent a little?

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem with mine and it took me forever to figure it out.Turns out my front left castor was bent a little causing mine to cut a little low on the left side.

6. shorty7616

Might be it.....I replaced the left side tire not long ago....what did you do to determine that was it?

7. jbell113

I took the castor off and looked at it and it was obvoius the shaft off the top was bent. I heated it up with a blow torch and straitened it with a sledge hammer.

8. jbell113

I think if your going to replace 1 front tire you should go ahead and replace the other 1 as well. The wear on the other tire probably is lower then the new 1. Just my opinion.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are the spindles level with each other UNDER the deck? They may look fine on top, but replacement spindles aren't always exact, so check underneath. Years ago I replaced a spindle on one of my wbs (may have been the JD), and it turned out that I put it in 1/4 inch lower than the other two (actually, I'll blame the non- factory spindle, NOT my mechanic skills {lol}). All we did was raise that one blade by 1/4 inch using the washers, and it works fine. Are the blades level with each other when you put them on? That should show if the spindles are level.

Are you losing your mind? Most likely. :p

Did you try posting this in Exmark's forum?

10. shorty7616

I just eyeballed under the deck and they look OK, but I'll check more in depth with a tape measure tomorrow. I actually took it to the dealer to replace the spindles because I was low on time.

Maybe I should raise the blade on the left side and see what that does tomorrow.

I know the castor isn't bent, but I think the replacement tire is a little different size.....just can't remember which one is the new one.

I think either way maybe raising one blade up 1/4'' might help either way????