1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

eXmark Dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GREENANDYELLOW, Jul 9, 2004.

GREENANDYELLOW LawnSite Member

To those of you who replied or read the post (My Exmark is Killing Me) I am the dealer in question. I am not here to make excuses, rather to set the story straight. (Chris Ke) brings the mower in on Thursday, July 1. The clutch is out and the machine is under warranty. Clutch is not in stock, tell customer it will be here tommorrow. Order clutch from Distributer they say it is in stock. Friday July 2, Clutch does not come in on UPS. Call distributor and they say they did not have one when they went to pull my order they will have to order it from Exmark. Customer calls to check on status of mower and we tell him its not ready, so he ask for a loaner and we give him a Scag 23hp/52" to use. July 3, is a Saturday, no parts are shipping. July 4, July 5, we are closed, distributor is closed, Exmark is closed. July 6, part gets ordered from exmark. July 7, part is recieved at distributor, July 8 part is shipped to me, July 9 part is recieved at 3:00pm on UPS and is installed and ready at 3:30pm. The whole time the customer has full use of the loaner mower with no charge. We sell scag, exmark, shindaiwa, little wonder, and billy goat. We have been in business for over sixty years. We are currently the #1 selling John Deere Z-trak dealer in the World. We did not get this way from having poor customer service. Thank you for reading this post.
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your side of the story.
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny, I dont beleive Chris ever mentioned receiving a loaner. It is amazing the things people conveniently leave out.

That being said(and I do understand it was a holiday weekend) I am sure something more could have been done to get this guy his OWN mower back to use sooner.

Were there no other Exmark or Toro dealers around who had that part in stock? Did you even try to go the extra mile to find the part?

Im not trying to pick a fight here. But I think sometimes dealers seem to forget that we use these machines to earn a living and feed our family. When a machine breaks down, it can literally cripple a small company, especially if that machine may have been all he had to use.

I think it is great that you gave him a loaner. And I think it is great that you took the time to give your side of the story. But I just think more could have been done for the guy.
  4. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

nice to hear the other side
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Been is business 60 years...holy smokes. So, do you think you'll keep one of those clutches in stock at this point?

PS, thanks for your post.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Thanks for posting the "other side." Good for you.
    It is rather amusing that the "loaner" mower was never mentioned.
    We own exmarks and will purchase another for next season so I am familiar with dealer and exmark service,The one thing I would add here is the fact that the clutch should have been shipped directly to your dealership from exmark rather than to a distributor and as well the distributor did a poor job on this one.
    Also I would suggest to you that if you are the kind of dealer that you portray you ought to have a commonly replaced item such as a clutch in stock at all times........time IS money.
    My opinion says there is blame enough to go all around............
    but again thanks for posting.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Amazing!!!!Seems Chris hasn't been back after the whole story comes out. This is why I have a hard time believing all the "bad" stories on this site.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Be interesting to hear what kind of quote chirs gets the next time he’s shopping for a mower. But from what he stated in his first post he has no loyalty to exmark and obviously he has none to you either after you gave him another mower and were upfront with him about your problems he still came on here to bad mouth ya. To bad your 1500 miles away you sound like a dealer I could work with but I do happen to love my current one and it’s hot enough up here.
  9. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

Every thing you did would have made me happy. Is it all good dealers or only exmark dealers who give out loaners? I ask because the exmark dealer I use has always given me a loaner, often a brand new exmark, whenever I had a problem with one of my machines they couldn't fix on the spot. I put 200 hours on a new machine one summer while they and the distributor kept trying to fix a drive problem on a new exmark I had bought. I personally think the quality of the dealer service means more than the name on the machine.
  10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

I do not use Exmark's,not important, but it sounds like as a dealer you tried to make sure your customer was still able to keep his business going,good for you. Dealer service is Very important to us and keeping a supply of parts in stock also is vital to us. It was a very good thing that you came on here with your side of the story,Exmark has a rep to maintain and so does your dealership. I will never deal with you but it is good to know there are dealers out there as good as who I deal with.