Exmark Deck Cutting Too Low.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hobbsd, Oct 19, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I have a 5 year old Lazer Z Liquid Cooled 60# with a deck that cuts wayyy too low. It cuts about 1.5" lower than the stated height. Also one side is much lower than the other. I did what the usuers manual told me to on how to adjust, but it did almost nothing to adjust the crookedness. There was no advice on how to "raise" the deck per setting.

Does anyone have expeirience in handeling this problem? some help would be appreciated.

oh, yeah the tires are full pumped up, so thats not the problem.

Thank you.:)

2. JHugh

JHugh LawnSite Member

Is the right rear of the deck low? There were a number of exmarks that had an issue with the rear cross shaft that supports the deck. They had received a lot of round stock that was to soft for the application. The shafts would twist and cause the right rear of the deck to be low. Post your serial number.

3. Woods Edge

Woods Edge LawnSite Member

The deck chains can stretch over time.

4. hobbsd

from west wi

I'll check it and post when I get home

5. hobbsd

from west wi

so what do I do about it?

6. JHugh

JHugh LawnSite Member

If your chains are stretched you just install new ones. It is unlikely that the chains are streched so bad you are 1.5 lower than the gauge. Another thing you should look for is frame sag. There is a front and a rear frame on your unit. If you mow on rough ground the frame connection can sag over time and make you deck low. There are 12 bolts(six on each side) that hold the front and rear frames together on your exmark. Put a floor jack under the battery tray, loosen all the bolts, and jack up the frame until it wants to leave the ground. Tighten your bolts back. I have seen gains of one inch in cut height after doing this.