Exmark Deck Help Anyone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, May 24, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I Have A Lazer Z Hp 44 And The Grass Clumps Up All The Time And Gives A Real Bad Cut. I Was Wondering If Anyone Ever Took Out The Front Round Shutes Under The Deck So The Grass Would Not Stick? I Want To Know If It Will Make The Deck Cut Worse Or What. I Know A Guy I Did Talk To Told Me To Do It, He Said He Did It To All His Exmarks Cause Of Having To Clean It Out All The Time To. Please Let Me Know If It Will Still Cut Good With Them Out. I Hate Every Other Day Cleaning It Out And Cutting Lawns Twice To Fix All The Grass That Did Not Cut. Any Help Would Be Great.. Thanks

2. milo

Someone Has To Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

first i would ask your dealer and the rep. from exmark if that would help, but i would leave the machine like it is. 2nd its spring time grass is going to clog and stick under your deck. depending what time you start in the morning you should clean the deck at lunch time and again at the end of the day. this will help to deliver the best quality cut. and last i would say sounds like your going to fast or its to long in between cuts if the blades are skipping.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have the same problem with all of my mowers Exmark and Lesco. Try getting the deck as clean as you can and spraying it with cooking spray. It will help some but when you are cutting fescue in the spring it sticks to everything.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Do you clean your underdeck as your day finished? There is no mower in the world will give you good cut if you don't scrape and clean your underdeck, every shift if possible. Doing 10 lawns a day, it is so important you clean and not leave them overnight, they will lump up and block the flow next day or two.
    Get a jungle jack and Clean as if you brush your teeth every day. That is how I do on my 52 TTHP, and the cut is totally eXmark cut, neat and sharp.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm....

I've found that the eXmark Trivantage deck stays cleaner than those without front baffles. I've found a couple little spots that need a bit of tweaking. One happens to be on the front baffle itself.

But in any event, I think you need to look to other ways to solve this besides cutting out that baffle.

7. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Milo, are you mulching or discharging the grass? I never have experienced any problem like this with my Exmark. I rarely ever have to clean the underside, and I do check it every blade change. Of course I would know it before then if it was clogging up, but mine just doesn't do this. Mostly cutting St Augustine, Centipede and "weedy" yards. Good luck with this.

8. milo

that is not true. i have mtd pro walk behinds and scag turf tigers and none of them ever do that. only all the exmarks i buy. i had a 48 exmark walk behind with the same problem. but none of my other equipment does this...

9. bps

bps LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with a new exmark turf tracer hp last year. The mower would just not mow well unless it was perfect conditions. Exmark's engineer explained that their blade tip speed is so high that this will happen in a variety of conditions. I made them take the machine back and bought a Ferris. The Ferris will cut anything at anytime. Lots of people here in S. VT have experienced these problems with Exmark.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The trivantage decks do and will clog in heavy spring growth. The ultracut deck doesn't clog nearly as much if at all under the same conditions.
    I will say that the ultracuts we run are 60" decks versus the 52" trivantage and I believe the bigger deck size does help a bit, however the trivantage needs to be cleaned regularly, particularly with a 44" deck to give a good quality cut.

Don't remove the baffles.