Exmark Deck "Whistling"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Sep 12, 2013.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I have an Exmark LHP23KA505 with the Triton deck that has developed a whistle while the blades are engaged. I know it's got to be a spindle or pulley, but how do I tell which one. In the past, on other mowers I would remove the belt from the idler pulley and find the spindle with resistance. I did the same on this mower and they all seem to be spinning just fine. All the pulleys seem to be spinning normally as well. Though, the whistle sounds like a tea pot on the stove.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, see if you can get "dixie"

But seriously?

Best I can tell you is temporarily disable the safety to the blades, remove the blade cover and CAREFULLY... With the engine running, transmission in neutral, parking brake set and the blades engaged, standing in front of the mower start listening and try to glean which side of the mower it's coming from... I have found it helpful to slowly move around and again be CAREFUL, you can also do it with a helper at the controls then you don't have to disable the safety but make SURE they don't engage forward drive.

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Orrrrr as mentioned in another thread feel which spindle is hottest or buy a tempature gun and point shoot and find which one is hottest. I guess harbor freight has a cheap one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have seen mechanics use a screw driver for a stethoscope and touch the various spindles/pulleys and try to find out which one is the loudest.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

Wife is a nurse so I have a couple old stethoscopes that I've put a small copper tube on the end. I also have a IR temp gun that's real handy. I mainly putz around with my car/s engines but principal is the same.

Did you spin the idler pulleys when you were checking spindles?

lol at the whistling Dixie comment... :)

6. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I did. Seemed to spin normally and was the least warm of the bunch. All three spindles were warm, but didn't burn to the touch.

7. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

I had the same issue on my Tiger Cub...turned out to be the idler pulley.