Exmark decks<_> Ultracut vs. Triton

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by DillonsLawnCare, Aug 3, 2007.

which deck is better??

Poll closed Oct 22, 2007.
  1. Ultracut

27 vote(s)
  2. Triton

15 vote(s)
  3. Both, post why or why not!

2 vote(s)
  1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

which deck is better, and why?
  2. kearneywalnut

kearneywalnut LawnSite Member

The Triton leaves a strip of uncut grass everywhere I mow. I bought the Triton due to great advertising like

"Triton, the cutting platform that won't let you down. Its job is to keep you out there working. No excuses."

Well I guess it is partially right, because double cutting to get a somewhat acceptable cut does keep me out there working much longer than my older Trivantage deck, (the older 5" deep version from before the Ultracut).
  3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blessed 1
    I picked my 07 up from my dealer Monday (Westover L &G Albany Ga) and JJ the head mech and I played with the deck a little. With the striping kit off we backed of the tension of the springs an the side of the rails and that stopped the bouncing of the deck. He tweaked the pitch a little and now the final results......................I am proud to say THAT BIG BLOCK AIN'T NO JOKE!!!!!. Yesterday was the first time that I had to raise my deck in Bahia to keep from scalping. It cut much better and I was proud to ride it. Its a lot of pressure when My Exmark is not performing well. I am the unofficial Exmark Rep here and EVERYBODY in my area that knows me knows that. Now if we can get that striping kit to allow my deck to get down like that I will be a happy camper. I will get back and give results at the end of the week.

After a week of cutting in various conditions and especially the extreme overgrown properties I have given up on Mulching with my Triton Deck. I hated to do it but I had to continuously get my helper go behind me on the 06 XS with the Ultracut Deck go behind me and clean up the clumps and uncut grass. I am very disgusted because I purchased the 35hp to be able to mulch year around. I am not happy with my 12K purchase and hopefully Exmark will correct the situation. I would pay (not really) to get a Ultracut deck on my 07 60" 35hp Vanguard. It makes a good Bushhog though........
  4. kearneywalnut

I would really like to know where people are successfully using a Triton deck, and why they like it better than the Ultracut...
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

6. kearneywalnut

And this coming from a guy who is quoted in the Exmark literature... Guess you aren't impressed by the new technology.

Do you run any Tritons? I know last fall you said that it should work great, but I haven't been happy yet...

I just wish Exmark would get around to resolving my issue instead of pushing me around and making me wait.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See what they will do about a trade for a Lazer AS???
  8. kearneywalnut

I have been in touch with everyone from the dealer, distributor, and Exmark directly, and I would trade it in for an Advantage Series any day. I have a 1996 Exmark 52" with a Trivantage deck, and I always stress when I talk to anyone at Exmark that I purchased an Exmark because of my great experience with that abused machine, and I couldn't really ask for more, I know that using that Lazer has made my business much more profitable than my competition who all use Walkers.

But as of now I haven't heard back from the R&D guy at Exmark who was interested in talking to me about my problems with the mower originally because of my background, I have a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, and might be able to shed light on the problem. But as of last week he wanted to just have me talk to the Quality of Cut guy to make sure my engine was running the correct RPM, and the deck was pitched correctly, and the baffles were set right. All of which were done by the Distributor rep who came out to see the problem over a week ago.

The Exmark moderator hasn't posted any of my threads, and I asked him a few questions Via PM over a week ago, and I haven't heard back yet.

It would be very simple for them to have another satisfied customer but they seem to keep "trying" to fix my problem, which isn't going to be fixed without a cutting torch and a welder to redo the deck.

I will gladly trade my HP Triton in for an Advantage series, and it is a cheaper mower...
  9. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I actually have been thinking of updating to the triton lazer HP next season. But after reading all the post it seems like a mix bag. Think I might wait a bit still. I do agree with you on the cut quality of the trivantage deck. It is the best cutting mower I have ever used. Have had problems with it when trying to cut anything wet or overgrown. But in regular conditions I could not be happier.
  10. kearneywalnut

The cut on my Trivantage is great, only time I have any trouble is when cutting down 8"+ tall grass to 3" when I have to double cut. I don't usually have any trouble in the rain, although my old Trac Vac isn't keeping up in the wet anymore.