exmark decks cut great now with this fix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, Jun 27, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

well i took the front baffles out of my exmark lazer zhp 4417 and now it cuts great. no clumping anymore or having to cut 2 or 3 times. everyone on here told me not to do it but i did and it makes a way better cut. the exmarks blade speed and the smaller decks does not get the grass out cause it has no room, but after looking at other brands of mower decks i did it and now i dont got to clean it out like before and the cutting is great. i recommend doing it to any deck 48 inch and smaller on the exmarks. i just grinded the welds out and it pulled right off. 20 minutes to do. well worth it
  2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered trying that sometimes, fortunately mine are bolted in so I could get them back without welding...
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder why the baffles were there in the first place. Seems to me, the grass WOULD attach to it. My Bob-Cat walk behind doesn't have any baffles and there's a lot of distance between the front edge of the deck and the tip of the blade. I always thought that helped set the grass up to be cut. Now, there are some baffles in the rear conformed to the shape of the cutting circle. Hey, sometimes you gotta try something for yourself, glad it worked for you.
  4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

The baffles are designed to create a better cut by keeping the grass inside the deck for a longer period of time, thus, chopping up the clippings into finer particles. It is also supposed to create more vacuum and lift.

However, this works best in optimum conditions.

Tall grass, wet grass, weeds etc... are not optimum conditions and therefore do not cut well.

And, unfortunately, these are most of the lawns out there.

Without, the baffles it cuts better, better meaning it will cut all the grass it comes in contact with. But, the clippings are usually long and can cover the grass in an ugly manner. This is usually not a problem if you cut on a regular schedule.
  5. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it works good. i always hear people saying i have to clean my deck out everyday on exmarks and i hate doing that so by just taking them out what a difference. well with them in i would leave streaks of uncut grass all over the place and would cut it again. now only cutting it once makes it alot easier. if you have a exmark that does it, try this and post on here how good it works.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I run gators with an open discharge and I don't have any problem with long grass standing on the lawn. If I used my standard blades, I know the cut would look good but there would be long grass left on the lawn.