Exmark Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smitty's lawncare, Feb 2, 2014.

1. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

This might seem like a dumb question since Exmark is one of the biggest commercial mower manufacturers......Are the decks really as bad as what everybody is telling me????? In my area, most companies (big and small) use Scag. I have a scag walk behind myself, and I know for a fact that they do awesome in tall, wet grass, etc. However, I'm tired of running pistol grip walk behinds, and the ECS is very appealing to me. However, everybody tells me that i'd be dumb to get an exmark because of the "crappy" deck. Is this true???? I've never ran exmark walk behinds, so I want to know from those of you who run them. I am looking into a 52" turf tracer.

Thank you!
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I personally much prefer the Scag decks. I've never been impressed with Exmark decks in wet grass although many people swear by them. I would be tempted to say that Exmark decks do in fact suck, but I tend to catch a lot of flack for saying that, so take that as you will, so to speak.
  3. hydemow

hydemow LawnSite Member

Around here most people only use john Deere and exmark/toro. I use both JD and exmark. Both decks do really good but I like the exmark deck better, I use a 52" vantage with the ultra cut. And have used a 36" TT it also cut really good. Most people around here don't like SCAG at all. I would not hesitate to get the exmark
  4. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ive used my friends exmark it clumps a lot more so you have to go back over it again. i prefer scag over exmark any day. scag came out with a new walk behind that is kind of like the ecs controls you might want to check out. its called the swzt.
    heres a link i dont know if it will work:
  5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark makes amazing decks. They leave the best finish cut of any deck I have seen on quality lawns. It is a tightly baffled deck which pulverizes clippings. This unfortunetly does not work the greatest in overgrown or super wet conditions. The scag works better in these types of conditions as the deck is VERY open and flow through.
    Basically different tools for different needs. I have a Exmark and it leaves a awesome cut, but many of my lawns are shitty lawns were a Scag would work a bit better.

The new Scag mower does not have the awesome Velocity deck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 LawnSite Member

Love my Exmark mowers. Can't beat the stripes they leave. We try not to mow in the wet weather.
  7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

one is not worse than the other. They are just made for different purposes. Scag is an open design which pushes the clippings out as fast as possible, exmark chews it up so there is not much for clippings when they come out. The mulching effect is why they clump in wet conditions.