1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EXMARK --- Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonble, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jonble

jonble LawnSite Member

I need a walk behind deck bigger than a 21".

A private seller local to me indicates the following on an Exmark Metro walk behind. It is a 32" deck with a 13hp Kawasaki engine. He has receipt that he paid $2400 NEW. It only has 30 hours on it. PERFECT CONDITION.

Selling for $1000. There is no bagger and no mulch kit. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? Or is it too good to be true?

Is this a good machine? Can it be serviced at home if user only knows mower maintenance a little bit?

Any idea the cost of the mulch kit and the bagger that go with this machine? Thanks for help.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah that sounds about right i bought mine for $2,100 in 2000. the bagger is about $275. very easy to maintain and work on keyword IF you have any problems . i have not had a single problem with mine.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The mulch kit is under $200 and a Grass Gobbler bagger is about the same.

As far as the price of the mower goes...

If the mower is in great shape then I'd but it for $1,000 in a heartbeat. Great deals do happen every once in a while and it sounds like you've found one.

Maintenance is easy. Everything you need to know and do is in the Owners Manual.
  4. jonble

jonble LawnSite Member

thank you JKOOPERS and Richard Martin for your replies

I decide to buy the machine and based on everything, I think that I got a great deal.

I have decided not to purchase the mulch adaptor. After the part ($160), i would need to have a shop drill holes in the deck to accept it (hour of labor $) and also need to figure how to get the exmark to the shop without a truck ($). So now i just need to go out and buy a grass catcher so i can occassionally discharge the grass and more often bag. I think i will get the cloth exmark ($300) as oppose to a steel ($250) or aluminum ($350-400). Any further opinions? Thanks again.
  5. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i got a mulch kit for an exmark 32 that i dont use cause i bag if your interested pm me
    btw exmark 32 is a great machine never had a problem yet
  6. jonble

jonble LawnSite Member

JRS Landscaping......

i might be interested in the mulch kit but I do not have the access/permission to PM. sent request for help to www.lawnsite.com, but have not heard back in 2 days.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The price seems reasonable. But how do you know it has just 30 hours? What year is it? Check the tire conditions for an indication of age. If getting worn out, it's got more than 30 hours.

Be sure you will like the ECS/pistol grip steering on the Exmark. They sell the same mower as a Toro, except with the superior T bar steering system. I have one. And realize that unless you do bigger areas with it (small gates with big back yds beyond them) you won't make up a ton of time, since it's a bear to turn in tight areas vs a 21". I could probably live w/o my 32" in retrospect. I need it on just a few lawns.
  8. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

The Exmark Could Be A Good Unit But What Is The Purchase Price - I Saw A Gravely 34" Gear Walk That Was Listed At $2099.00 At The Convention In Chicago - - And It Comes With A 2 Year Warranty

So Just Make Sure Price On Used Is Worth It.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i believe the list on the exmark is is around $2100
  10. jonble

jonble LawnSite Member

brucec32---i don't know that it is 30 hours but I believe it is. the seller was a stand-up guy and all that he said seemed reasonable and believable. tire tread is excellent (dirty, but not worn), the receipt he handed me of when he purchased the mower read 6/17/2005 and $2200 (plus tax). this mower does not have the ECS conversion kit. i bought the machine to make up time at my home. it is for home use. i have about 9000 sq. ft. of grass. i expect to APPROXIMATELY reduce my mowing time from 60 to 20 minutes. that is considerable enough to enjoy with my 2 young boys. i practiced with it for 5 minutes and seems to maneuver decently. my lawn layout does not require too many turns and I was comparing this used Exmark to a new Sutech. I am glad that I did not go with the Sutech though it sounds OK for the $. It is the Sutech though that sounds like a beast to turn. thanks for your thoughts.

mowers1---the price was $1000. the sense i have is that given its little use that it was a more than fair price. only time will tell, but i already own it so if it wasn't fair i am out of luck

JKOOPERS---i think (but don't care too much at this point) that the list on this 32" mower was closer to $2400, but regardless the guy who sold it to me bought it 18 months ago for $2200. He may have gotten a small break on it because he has bought other Exmark equipment from that Authorized Dealer in past years.

Thanks again to all who replied......