Exmark doubles users..... What do you think about......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Navig8r, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Doubles and clumping?

It seems to me that the lift of the blades actually contributes to the clumping..... when I throttle back or shut down the PTO, I will get a large discharge of clippings that wil drop right there in one deck-sized clump! (this only happens with wet conditions / heavy growth)
    Seems like the lift created by the blades actually holds the clipings to the underside of the deck.

Here's what I'm thinkin'.... Would using low-lift blades, or one blade in a set of doubles with no lift, help? I'm thinking this would contribute to mulching of clippings, without disturbing airflow as much.

Has anyone tried this?

Where can I get blades with no lift foil on them?
    Someone posted a pic of one once, but I don't remember the source.

The best combo I've found is Gators over Hi-Lifts.
    I only run doubles in heavy growth or wet conditions.

Has anyone come up with a better combo??? Lets here it!

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Just Try Double High Lifts. In Real Wet Spray the deck With Mo Deck.
    John

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about "reverse gators"...

Soo far, my exmarks wll not cut wet or even damp grass! :angry:
    We raise the decks up...then just have to double cut.

We're waiting until late morning to start mowing, but I get stringers....or clumps if I drop the deck low enough.

BIG PROBLEM. :mad:

I'm running single highlift excalibers...doubles don't do good on my mowers.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is Your Deck PITCH Set Where Its Supposed To Be? Even wet Grass My Lazer will Cut Great But i Will Have Lose Clumps To Pick Up.
    John

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Pitch is right at 1/4 inch from rear blade tip to front..

WB dos it too. :(

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I cut one with 12 days growth (about 6-7" tall) at 3.5" today immediately after a thunderstorm (water still running down the gutters) and had minimal missed blades and minor clumping with my 48" lazer Z hp . Check your deck pitch and try for 1/8" to 1/4" higher in back than in front. This was on Tall Fescue btw. Also, worn blades that are rounded on the tips could cause some problems. Some guys use blades a little too long before getting new ones.