Exmark ECS controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 24, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Do you have to keep BOTH hands on the controls to keep the mower running or can you take one hand off mometarily? For instance, if a bug gets in your eye and you take one hand off the controls to get the bug out, will the mower shut down?

Joel B.

from AL

ECS controls allow you to straight track with no pressure on the controls, & only one necessary on the OPC, so yes you can take hands off while mowing.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Err...... I could be wrong, but unless you bypass the safety switch you can take "one" hand off, but not both...Actually, you may be saying this, I'm not sure.........
    Also, ECS control are absolutely the same as pistol grips,which track straight with not pressure, but are just angled differently. Both levers must be locked down to stop and are spring tensioned, just like pistol grips....
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think you guys are both saying the same thing. Just don't take one hand off while you're squeezing on both controls to slow down (yup, I tried it). Can you say instant 180. Love my ECS!!
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I too love my ECS controls, except in this season......the season of mulching leaves. Too much need to reverse over the leaf piles to get them mulched gives your grip a workout.

I also like the controls due to being tall. I am 6'3" and these are about the only controls that are very comfortable size wise.

I do like the Hustler controls as well, although it seems it would take some time to get used to them, coming from the pistol/ECS controls. But I dont have a Hustler so this isnt a problem........yet :D
  6. Doc Pete

I can't argue that;) I must admit it took me about 2 days just to get comfortable enough not " kick myself for buying one":p But, in 2 weeks I was finishing the same work in 20% less time than before. Wait til you couple the Hustler's controls to a "Problo" leaf blower attachment, which fits on the front of the WB after you take off the deck. I just got finished blowing for 2 hours straight and didn't even break a sweat. Ummmm........ my helper with my Fradan lost about 10 pounds, though:D
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My new TTHP has the ECS controls on it. Allthough they are still "pistol grips," the way they are positioned seems to be a nice change from the old style. To me it seems to take a little less effort to run. I would love to demo a Hustler w/b but I can't seem to find a dealer closeby.
  8. Doc Pete

I'd call the company.... I'm sure they will bend over backwards to help, and I understand Hustler has a "master distributor/dealer" in Florida that will gladly help you.....