Exmark ECS help / tearing turf

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc_77, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

hey every one :)
    this should probably be in the just starting out forum but ... I'm have a little trouble with tearing up turf .
    when i turn one wheel stops and the other pushes me around. most of the time it's ok but I'm still riping up grass every now and then. i don't think this is how i should be turning though. when i try and make one wheel reverse and the other go forward , it's almost to fast and i think I'm going to fly off the dam thing. I'm not tearing up the grass doing this though. also this is going at very slow speeds. slightly faster then my 21 self propelled mower. i am starting to get better and more comfortable with reversing one wheel but is this how i am supposed to turn ???

my god i feel ******** asking these dumb newbie questions :eek:

2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

You don't mention how many hours you have spent using the machine. I use a TTHP as well as a Z. My opinion is that the TTHP is easier to learn just because you can see the wheels and adjust on the fly.
    My routine is to slow down before making the turn and then make the turn. If you see the inside wheel is not moving then squeeze that wheel's lever a bit more until it is moving. You say you are going slow, but you should not feel that your going to fly off. If your using a sulky, try walking and work on the turn. After a while you aquire the right "feel" with the levers, don't grab a big handful and squeeze hard, learn the correct amout of pressure needed. Just takes some time.

3. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

thanks Hawkeye5
    i just wanted to make sure i was making turns correctly before i kept on riping up my lawn learning :)
    i have been using a sulky also , i guess i will take your advice and try walking for a while until i get the hang of it.
    also i have only used it for about 30- 40 minutes. and i already feel comfortable with it but i know i need a lot more practice and time on it before i take it out to some of my account's.

thanks again :)

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You have to be "RELAXED" on you arms and hands when squeezing the ECS, it is very powerful and gentle, also sensitive. Obviously, you have not operated a belt WB before, so it is kind a like starting out at advanced system. Try to squeeze lightly and make a turn like big light bulb shape, as you feel comfortable with the system then step up to do the Z turn like army tank or a Z. I have run pistol grip with belt WB for a couple of seasons so I think the ECS is godsend to me, it took me 1 hour to completely appreciate and enjoy its ability...and go make more money.

5. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

it's actually a hydro. but your right i have not run a belt drive before. or a hydro.
    this is my first commercial mower. up until now i have been using a self propelled 21 mower.
    i don't have to meny problems moving it around in tight spots . i feel very comfortable with it already and i do like the ECS controls a lot, but I'm new and still weary of getting to close to parked cars and other objects. i have this image burned into my head ... how the front caster wheel would look going threw a car door :eek:

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I can tell you from experience, it doesn't look good when the front caster arm goes through an El Camino. And I mean THROUGH it. lol

Make sure when you turn, BOTH wheels are in motion.....if turning around to your left, your right wheel should be going forward, and your left wheel should be going backwards, slowly. Come to a stop, start backing up your left tire and let your right tire roll forward. As you gain confidence, you will make faster and faster turns. The light bulb patern is great to learn starting out, but you really want to master the true Zero Turn capabilities of your machine, so keep at it.

7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I got my first hydro walk-behind this year and it took me some time to get my turns down.

I have been using belt drive machines for years and I have mastered turning with a belt drive.

I have gotten faster and faster in making turns with my hydro and I don't tear the turf up at all anymore.

It will all come with some practice.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yes at the same speed. Just pull the inside tire or inside turning wheel LEAVER in a little farther in (then the outside turning tire leaver) and you will get it. You will turn faster but you wont turf tare.
    John

Or just pull In more on the leaver thats closes to you in a turn!!

9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

But it seems that if you are turning right, and your inside wheel goes in reverse, you will turn a full 360 without moving over to go down the next line. I'm not sure because I haven't gotten my wb yet but when you think of it I don't really understand it. you would think that it would just do a 360 but not move over, just turn around...

Do you guys get what I'm saying?

10. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc 77 cant give you advice on your ECS but I thought I would welcome you to LS. I own and operate Fairway Lawn Care out of Bartlett IL for the last 12 years and I am also a full time Firefighter in Wheeling your "village with feeling" to the east of you. Dont know if you have a fertilizer supplier yet but there is a wholesale company in Wheeling called Arthur Clesens company on Diens Drive. They have great prices and might be more convenient than your current supplier. If you put it on grass they probably sell it and they also have two sales / service techs that are very knowledgable of their product line and the green industry in general. They sell all the major brands and they also make their own custom mix products. GOOD LUCK, PM me if you need anything I will try to help. Dave